Swing lock

Have a project you're currently working on? Post it here!
Louis

Re: Swing lock

Post by Louis » April 25th, 2014, 6:52 pm

The metal swing lock is right here right now, and it is very impressive! It is good looking in shiny metal, the same weight as a Revomaze, and rattling like a confusing puzzle. Not to mention the two (or four?) keyholes with additional confusing features! When handled exactly the right way in the right sequence, it opens in a remarkably smooth and satisfying motion. After that, even closing it can be a puzzle if you don't know exactly how the internal mechanism works. Having seen and tested this trick lock since the very first prototype, I am happy to say it only got better each time Splinter came up with a new version in a different material. Yesterday's final improvement to the metal version made it work perfectly!
To top it all off, the internal (surprisingly simple) mechanism can be seen in action behind a transparent window once the lid is removed, which is just damn cool!
This is another puzzle project to be proud of Splinter!

I will bring the metal swing lock with me to the puzzle party this weekend, for any interested puzzlers to see & try out!
<hidden></hidden>

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 25th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Thanks for the comments Louis. Does the metal version come with the transparent cover?

Louis

Post by Louis » April 25th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Yes, all verslons have a non-transparant cover that comes off when the screws are removed. Behind that cover there is a transparent 2nd cover which shows the mechanism. This is definitely an added value in my view!
<hidden></hidden>

Splinter

Post by Splinter » April 27th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Louis wrote:I will bring the metal swing lock with me to the puzzle party this weekend, for any interested puzzlers to see & try out!
I hope it was a good party, and that the Swing Lock survived it ;-)
(and also survived the personal test -do I like it or not- of various people)

allardwza

Post by allardwza » April 28th, 2014, 7:55 am

Great news Splinter ... now when will they go into production...? :-)

Splinter

Post by Splinter » April 28th, 2014, 8:13 am

allardwza wrote:Great news Splinter ... now when will they go into production...? :-)
They are...
For the last evenings I've been gluing plastic layers together to create the parts for the plastic Swing Locks. :silent:

The metal Swing Lock: I've collected the metal parts in Venlo last week. But early this week I'm expecting a small updated piece so that all those locks will function as Louis describes.

So.... as indicated above, I'll have both versions released by end of this week. :shh:
For each buyer, I need to do a final assembly and a check of the lock. As maybe the metal version will attract more buyers, needing a similar piece from the plastic lock (or vice versa). And I don't want to first assemble it in a plastic version and then needing to break it loose because metal versions were ordered...... :cry:

I could have released the plastic versions earlier, but I did not like it to tempt you to buy a plastic version first (because it's new) and offer a metal versions shortly after. So all now have a fair choice which looks (in accordance with depth of the pockets maybe) are more appreciated.
For me, offering now 2 versions will show which one is more appreciated (related to price point). So that I'll know if my future puzzles should be better offered in metal or plastic. Or both.

Splinter

Post by Splinter » May 2nd, 2014, 9:40 am

Well, the good news is: the Swing Locks are released for sale.
The even better news for my previous customers that were informed and pre-ordered it: the metal Swing Locks are all ready, and will be shipped on Monday.
SSC_2288.JPG
A whole stock of Swing Locks
SSC_2288.JPG (214.46 KiB) Viewed 14743 times
I originally thought this first run of metal locks would not sell out immediately (and promote it now in public), but it did within 4 hours. (That's the good news for me). But: I'll order new stock, so if you're interested you can notify me beforehand if you don't want to miss out on the next run.

There are a few plastic versions available, but you can also wait for the first reviews and impressions that will probably be coming in the next weeks.

http://www.mfave.nl/en/webshop/more-fun ... plastic-88
http://www.mfave.nl/en/webshop/Puzzles- ... k_metal-89

Best regards,

Splinter

Orko

Post by Orko » May 2nd, 2014, 6:37 pm

Looks very nice. :thumbup:

Splinter

Post by Splinter » May 4th, 2014, 9:18 am

Mfave's well utilized packaging department: