Swing lock

Have a project you're currently working on? Post it here!
Splinter

Swing lock

Post by Splinter » December 27th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Because I learned that metal is a preferred material to use for a trick-lock, I hereby present you my new metal trick lock:
SSC_1847.JPG
Swing lock
SSC_1847.JPG (211.89 KiB) Viewed 24582 times
Well, of course this is a first prototype. My skills in wood working MDF are not perfect. After I learn whether the internal mechanism is new for a trick-lock (Louis, are you there? Let's see how soon he's notified/aware of this post that I need his input), I'll decide to go for a better working version in metal. The internal mechanism is relatively simple compared to the Burgh Lock (which is on a total different complexity level regarding manufacturing), so I can't really rule out someone else has already used a similar construction.

Steps I'll take:
- check with Louis (still not here? What keeps you waiting... ;-)) if the Swing Lock is any good as a puzzle and has additional value (is 'new')
- discuss some aspects regarding improvements I'm considering
- if all of the above has a satisfactory result, I'll make drawings for the next prototype. And ask for a price at the metal working shop I have good contacts with
- if my budget allows (probably will), the next prototype will be made -in metal- and tested
(- and I'll also discuss the Burgh Lock with the metal working shop to see whether there are possibilities to adapt that mechanism to more traditional manufacturing methods)

As you might guess, I doubt whether this trajectory is finished before the coming MPP.
But it may be ready for the MPP after that.

Best regards,

Splinter

Louis

Re: Swing lock

Post by Louis » December 27th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Come on, 7 weeks to the next MPP... Must be doable!-)
<hidden></hidden>

Splinter

Post by Splinter » December 28th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Well, it's demonstrated again: say (new) puzzle to Louis, and you get a quick response.
First here at the forum, and I just let him out at my front door.... :lol:

Louis

Post by Louis » December 30th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Splinter did it again!
Without spoiling anything, I can say this is a nice puzzle lock concept that I have not seen before. It fooled me, it baffled me, and then I managed to open it, albeit not the intended way.

My guess about what mechanism would be inside was not far off. I like it when I get an idea of the mechanism before opening it, better than fumbling around at random with a puzzle until it pops open.

This lock is less complex inside than BurgLock, which is a good thing because it leaves a choice of materials to use for production. However it is not straightforward simple inside either, so more prototypes and testing of variations is needed.

I look forward to a machine-made prototype that blocks unintended ways of opening.

Way to go Splinter!
<hidden></hidden>

Splinter

Post by Splinter » February 14th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Well, I hope to give Louis a reason to come back from MPP:
SSC_2025S.JPG
SSC_2025S.JPG (68.71 KiB) Viewed 23772 times
SSC_2026S.JPG
SSC_2026S.JPG (60.58 KiB) Viewed 23772 times
SSC_2027S.JPG
SSC_2027S.JPG (69.08 KiB) Viewed 23772 times
This next proto is ready for you to test!

- Splinter
PS for interested readers: lock is made by gluing laser-cut layers onto each other

Paradox

Post by Paradox » February 17th, 2014, 8:08 am

It looks brilliant already Splinter! :shock:

Just wondering...but if it can be made from layered sheet acrylic it can probably be made from layered sheet aluminium too right? ;)

Splinter

Post by Splinter » February 17th, 2014, 8:45 am

Paradox wrote:It looks brilliant already Splinter! :shock:
Just wondering...but if it can be made from layered sheet acrylic it can probably be made from layered sheet aluminium too right? ;)
Sorry that this lock didn't make it as proto to the MPP this saturday.
But while you were puzzling, I was tweaking the last bits of it....

You're probably right that it could be made from Alu layers. But you may understand from my introduction of this topic that I intend to have this lock available both in plastic (as shown; laser-cut) and in stainless steel (milled).

To be continued...
(hope to hear from Louis this week a kind of comment like: 'yeah, the plastic one is OK for production now')

Louis

Post by Louis » February 17th, 2014, 10:02 pm

'yeah, the plastic one is OK for production now'

(A more elaborate review was sent to Splinter !-)
<hidden></hidden>

Splinter

Post by Splinter » April 25th, 2014, 9:28 am

I expect a review of the metal Swing Lock by Louis and some private puzzle-party attendees after this weekend. :roll:

And I also expect to release both the plastic and the metal Swing Lock for sale by end of next week.

- Splinter

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 25th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Great news. Congratulations on the second lock design.