websites listing puzzles

Louis

websites listing puzzles

Post by Louis » April 19th, 2011, 10:58 pm

There are several websites listing loads of puzzles. just a few examples:
http://www.marcelhaas.com/puzzles/index.html
http://www.puzzlefinder.net/index.php?taal=eng (poor translations from Dutch)

What is (or should be) the position of the wiki in relation to these websites?
Should the wiki provide similar or equal information created or rephrased by ourselves?
Should the wiki copy the content after approval to do so from the website authors?
Should the wiki link to them from puzzle pages?
<hidden></hidden>

Paradox

Re: websites listing puzzles

Post by Paradox » April 19th, 2011, 11:09 pm

I think that we should try to put information in our own words wherever possible, otherwise we are essentially just duplicating the same information on the web. But there is plenty of info on the web that there is no harm in copying over, however I think we should seek the consent of the writers first, or at the very least place a link at the end to show the source.
There is no point in just using other puzzle info sites as sources though as then there is no point in people reading this Wiki as the same info is available elsewhere.

Also: It's good to see you working on the Wiki Louis! :)

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 15th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Hello,
What about including a link to Ishino's page in each puzzle page when it is available ?

Paradox

Post by Paradox » August 15th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Pio2001 wrote:Hello,
What about including a link to Ishino's page in each puzzle page when it is available ?
That shouldn't be a problem providing that there is information supplied on that page that isn't available to be added to the Wiki. If the information is essentially the same however then there would be no benefit to doing so. If you do feel that it's worth adding then I'd recommend putting it in the 'other' template section with words to the effect of "For more information see also...".

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 16th, 2011, 12:43 am

The goal is to provide a link to the complete design, when it is published.

I tried to add that in the "Other" section, but for the Squirrel cage, whose design is published in Stewart Coffin's Puzzling World of Polyhedral dissections, the text is very long and stretches the box a bit too much...

I left the link in the main text for the time being.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » August 16th, 2011, 11:23 am

Pio2001 wrote:Hello,
Can do. I did this on the Padaung Rings as Ishino has it listed with a slightly alternative name.
Pio2001 wrote:The goal is to provide a link to the complete design, when it is published.

I tried to add that in the "Other" section, but for the Squirrel cage, whose design is published in Stewart Coffin's Puzzling World of Polyhedral dissections, the text is very long and stretches the box a bit too much...

I left the link in the main text for the time being.
Cool. It doesn't matter too much providing the information is there... that's the hard bit. Others can/will tidy formatting if it's needed at a later date. :)