What would you like to see?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: What would you like to see?

Post by bluesign2k » May 2nd, 2011, 11:32 am

Glad to hear we've got to the bottom of this... I was beginning to worry that I was going to have to chase a weird bug :)

Paradox

Post by Paradox » May 3rd, 2011, 10:36 pm

As an idea:

Would it make any kind of sense to make the image pages (.jpg) into redirect pages that redirect to the puzzle's page automatically?

The main thing I worry about is that people will look at the image gallery, click on a puzzle, see a big picture and then go away thinking there is nothing else. Especially since I reckon most traffic will come from image searches.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » May 3rd, 2011, 10:55 pm

Paradox wrote:...Would it make any kind of sense to make the image pages (.jpg) into redirect pages that redirect to the puzzle's page automatically?...
Tried this a week or so ago... doesn't work :( Or at least, I couldn't get it to work.

I know what you mean though. It would be better if there was some way of the image in the gallery going straight to the correct puzzle... even if each image had to have it's page edited to make it work.

If you come up with a smart way to do this then I'd like to know :)

EDIT: just found out that it can be done with a bit of hacking: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk ... ing_images

Trouble is that if the wiki is ever updated then it's likely that we'd have to remember to re-implement the hack and it's possible that it may not even work in future versions... it might be worth it though?

EDIT2: figured I'd give it a go anyway... the first image in the gallery is the 10 Move Burr and now has a redirect. The only issue now is that if an image is clicked on a puzzle page it'l just redirect back to the same page. Clearly you can still view the image page by clicking on the "(Redirected from File:10 Move Burr.JPG)" link at the top of the puzzle page so its a question of whether that's a problem or not?

Paradox

Post by Paradox » May 4th, 2011, 12:14 am

That's great! Nicely done, it works perfectly!

I don't foresee any problems with not being able to view the .jpg pages very easily. I reckon only those of us uploading etc. will really have any need of them.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we can keep this addition during any future updates. :)

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » May 4th, 2011, 1:49 am

Ok, so this works, but has a bad side effect. Now you can't get the full size image from the gallery links inside the post.

Now perhaps we could use lightbox to open the image from inside the gallery section. Given that I'm guessing ( no wiki knowledge here, but lots of HTML experience) that this is controlled by CSS. If so, we can control the behaviour from inside the gallery differently.

Chris, you seem to know more about this, and it's 2am here, so I'll leave you to ponder, but let me know if you want me to dig more into this tomorrow.

Jet lag is a pain btw :roll:

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » May 4th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Yeh, this was part of the problem I described. I'm not sure there's going to be any easy way around it either. At the moment it's sill possible to get to the full size image from the gallery with only 2 clicks on links (ie not having to hack together some URL in order to get to the image): one on the image in the gallery, then one on the "Redirected from xxx" at the top of the next page. However, it really depends what the purpose of the gallery is, whether it's to find a puzzle with unknown name by searching through images on the gallery (which tbh, was the original purpose), or whether it's to find pretty pictures of the puzzles. It may be possible to use the LightboxThumbs extension to do both. The problem with this is that one of the bugs is that it doesn't resize images, so large images will fill the screen... and I know quite a few images are a few thousand pixels wide... this would also mean that the link under the image that this extension shows would be way off the bottom of most people's screen, and that makes it a bit useless :?

In all honesty I think the original idea is still the one to go with but I think the issue is whether clicking on an image in a gallerybox on one of the puzzle page should take the user to the image's file page... I think I read last night that this is possible, but I believe it involves adding some code to every image in every gallerybox. If I can figure some way of integrating some sort of "no redirect" into the pipe {{!}} template then it should be a relatively good workaround, if not then I think the fix would involve something that would be too complex to expect the other wiki users to know how to do.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » May 4th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Hmm. That bug is a touch annoying as lihtbox itself can force the images to a max size. Since the plugin is just calling lit box, I can't see why it shouldn't work. It may be that the Pluto isn't passing the right parameters to lightbox, but I could always modify the lightbox JavaScript code and hardcode it to use the size we want and thereby force the resize. Might work, I'd need to play with the copy of lightbox I have on one of my servers.

Let me experiment and I'll see whatmi can do.

Paradox

Post by Paradox » May 7th, 2011, 7:11 am

Could it be worth adding another section to the Puzzlebox template to include external links to puzzle reviews?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » May 7th, 2011, 1:03 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I'll get the template updated when I get back this afternoon.
I think it'll just do it as a plaintext input so links in any format can be put there... Make it easier for multiple links too :)

Paradox

Post by Paradox » May 7th, 2011, 1:17 pm

bluesign2k wrote:That sounds like a good idea. I'll get the template updated when I get back this afternoon.
I think it'll just do it as a plaintext input so links in any format can be put there... Make it easier for multiple links too :)
Excellent! Sounds good! :)

This way we can add links to reviews on blogs and designer's sites etc. without taking up a whole load of space on the puzzle's page.