What would you like to see?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: What would you like to see?

Post by bluesign2k » May 8th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Done! Sorry it took a while to get done :?
Have tested it out on the Aluminium Burr page.

Chris

Paradox

Post by Paradox » May 8th, 2011, 5:09 pm

bluesign2k wrote:Done! Sorry it took a while to get done :?
Have tested it out on the Aluminium Burr page.

Chris
Looks good Chris! Thanks for that. :)

I'll go through when I next get a chance and add links to my past reviews.

Paradox

Post by Paradox » June 20th, 2011, 3:35 pm

I think it could be worthwhile to have maybe a row or block of thumbnail images somewhere on the main page. Just something to immediately grab the attention of first-time visitors.

Or some kind of slideshow if that is even possible?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » June 21st, 2011, 10:56 am

This is a top idea. I contemplated trying to setup some sort of puzzle of the month infobox/link (thing) on the front page but where I've seen it done on other wikis it looks like it had to be manually updated. I'm sure there must be a way to randomise for each visit though.... I'll look into it :D

Paradox

Post by Paradox » June 21st, 2011, 12:20 pm

bluesign2k wrote:This is a top idea. I contemplated trying to setup some sort of puzzle of the month infobox/link (thing) on the front page but where I've seen it done on other wikis it looks like it had to be manually updated. I'm sure there must be a way to randomise for each visit though.... I'll look into it :D
Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :D

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » June 21st, 2011, 11:58 pm

bluesign2k wrote:This is a top idea. I contemplated trying to setup some sort of puzzle of the month infobox/link (thing) on the front page but where I've seen it done on other wikis it looks like it had to be manually updated. I'm sure there must be a way to randomise for each visit though.... I'll look into it :D
Looks like the random image test page works :)

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » June 22nd, 2011, 12:20 am

Ah, so you spotted it ;)

It's not finished yet by any means... I think I've managed to crack the hard part but I want to be able to show a table of 5 or so images with links to the puzzle pages they're found on (not the File page for the image). I'm have to learn how to talk to SQL databases with php... fun(!)

I'll update once I've cracked it :)

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » June 22nd, 2011, 11:02 pm

Ah yes, good fun. I remember doing the same for one of the websites I maintain a few years back. Despite being a programmer, I don't much like databases, and really avoided them as much as possible. Maybe I should have paid more attention as it took far longer than it should have!

Still it works, and looks like you're doing fairly well too.

N

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » June 23rd, 2011, 12:26 am

Yeh, I've done quite a bit of programming in a whole host of languages for many platforms, but I've never really got into databases. It seems fairly simple having just muddled through doing this but I'm not sure I'd know where to start if I wanted to start building one from scratch.

Anyway... I think it's now at a stage that it's usable on the front page. Is that the sort of thing you had in mind Oli?

Info can be found here :)

Chris

Paradox

Post by Paradox » June 23rd, 2011, 8:46 am

I think it looks absolutely awesome Chris! :D

I'm really glad you managed to get them to link to the puzzle pages rather than the files as well.

I liked it so much that I thought I'd see how it looked on the Main Page, and I think it really makes the look a whole load more appealing.

Now I'm thinking about how/where else we could implement this into other parts of the site!

Is there a way to change the image and frame size if we wanted to use it on other pages? That way we could have little strings of say 10/20 images along the bottom of pages and the like. Obviously in this case it would probably be necessary to lose the text, but that would be too much of a big deal in that particular case.