What would you like to see?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: What would you like to see?

Post by bluesign2k » August 22nd, 2011, 5:32 pm

Pio2001 wrote:...I was browsing the puzzle gallery, and found myself wondering what wood some puzzles were made of. I found that in order to get the information, I had to click the picture, then follow the link to the puzzle page, and look at the text of the picture...
I know this has been discussed before somewhere around here, but since this this was the last place it was mentioned I'll reply here...

I have just spent the afternoon modifying the wiki so that the images in the "Puzzle Images" category now link directly to the puzzle page rather than the image page. The title of the image is now also that of the puzzle page but I have also left a smaller link underneath for those who wish to go directly to the image page.

:)

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 22nd, 2011, 6:27 pm

Great !

It works perfectly.

Paradox

Post by Paradox » September 14th, 2011, 9:31 pm

One thing I would like to see on the Wiki is a page to encompass all traditional Japanese Puzzle Boxes.

Something that could explain the history, basic mechanisms, keys, patterns/finishes, sizes (mame/sun).

Anyone have any idea how they'd like the page to look? We can use images from PuzzleBoxWorld to show a decent variety of sizes, styles etc.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » September 14th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Biggest problem with Japanese Puzzle boxes is showing scale. Most pictures have no reference object in them, like Allard's 2 pound coin, so they are all incredibly deceptive.

Most people think the boxes are far larger than the actually are, mainly because the Yosegi patterns look too intricate to be small. Not sure what the best way is, other than to have a single photo with all the sizes together. Something like this, which I use for teaching ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Star-sizes.jpg