New Look

Paradox

Re: New Look

Post by Paradox » November 22nd, 2012, 1:29 am

On second thought, I wouldn't worry about the image size issue. I've noticed that I only have the problem on my work computer, and that old thing does not reflect an average computer so most people won't have that issue I imagine.

I still preferred to have the image on the right myself. Because the text boxes are usually always longer than the images on the page it tends to leave a large blank area underneath the picture. I just think it seems more natural to have that dead space to the right of the screen, but that's not a technical issue, just a matter of taste I guess.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » November 26th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Well the 'blank area' under the image is there to put all the extra text about the puzzle. You know all that additional info that didn't really go anywhere else.

On out test pages that was all aligned under the image, and really seemed to work pretty well. Overall it reduced the long text pane, and made the pages much more consistent. However, we've not made that change active, given that not all pages had it, and there was a couple of issues I found after we pushed up the new design...

Still maybe it lets you know what we were thinking and why that space is there ...

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » November 26th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Ha! Its been a while since I looked at the test pages. It all got quite complicated with trying to dynamically split the gallery boxes. Having just checked, the extra info box below the main image is active on the main wiki... I've jut tried it on a puzzle page with preview and it creates some interesting formatting on my tablet's screen!

FWIW, the handle for adding extra info under the main image is:

Code: Select all

| ExtraText =
...although I'd only use it with caution at the moment until we know how well (or not) it works.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » November 29th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Yeah, it's that interesting formatting that made me rework something in the main page code. Don't remember what now but I guess if we look at the history of the css on the day we went live we can see it pretty easily.

I guess I need to dig into what went strange ... bloomin css and html are so complicated, and given all the browser variations, so challenging to get it to look right on all platforms.