Wiki Updates

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: Wiki Updates

Post by bluesign2k » August 27th, 2011, 6:45 pm

bluesign2k wrote:I'll be updating the main template in the next day or so to accommodate puzzles that were used both in the IPP Design Competition and as an exchange puzzle (eg Tornado). I don't think there's that many that fall in both categories but at the moment it's impossible to do this.
Right, I've sorted this out now. There's two new (separate) fields for exchange puzzles: "IPPExYear" and "IPPExName". The "IPP" and "IPPYear" should now only be used for IDC entries. Puzzles are now also listed in categories for those that were used as exchange, or win prizes in the IDC.
Paradox wrote:It's nice to see the Pirate's Cipher Puzzlechest on the Wiki! Are we going to try and get permission to use the full load of photos showing the building and solving process? There shouldn't be an issue with the solution as only two were ever made.
Yeh, I noticed the other day and figured it needed rectifying :) Jim links to the document with the solution publicly in on his website... so I think there shouldn't be a problem adding the photos. Maybe yet check with Robert to make sure he's okay with the build pics. Also, I think there were 3 made ;)

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » August 29th, 2011, 11:01 pm

bluesign2k wrote:Also, I think there were 3 made ;)
Well, 2.5 ;)

Paradox

Post by Paradox » August 30th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Another puzzle milestone! :D

810 Puzzles
1507 Puzzle Images
179 Designers
137 Manufacturers
169 Puzzle People

Paradox

Post by Paradox » August 31st, 2011, 12:19 pm

I made and redirected all relevant pages to Guillaume's Page as there were lots of red links from the 'image courtesy of' sections.

I don't like red links. :D

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 31st, 2011, 12:41 pm

Aha !
That's why you removed the Live Cube link from the Tiros picture, isn't it ? :idea:

Paradox

Post by Paradox » August 31st, 2011, 1:36 pm

Pio2001 wrote:Aha !
That's why you removed the Live Cube link from the Tiros picture, isn't it ? :idea:
Maybe. :?

;)

Here's a list of the 'Wanted Pages' that I'm trying to reduce:

http://www.puzzle-place.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 31st, 2011, 6:07 pm

I see.

Patience and Chinese Rings are the same thing.

And I guess that I'll have to create Triple Croix's page, since I may be the only one to have a picture of it. Actually, it's not a picture of the real puzzle, but a copy made by Maurice for his private collection.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » August 31st, 2011, 10:07 pm

I've been adding a few templates so that images can have their information noted more formally, and those who
wish/require their images to be protected, can.

Firstly, there's an information box that can be used when uploading images. I understand that it can be a bit of a PITA to fill this out every time, but I reckon it would be useful to know where stuff originated from.

Code: Select all

{{Information
|Description=     <description of the image>
|Source=          <where the image came from>
|Date=            <when the image was created (yyyy-mm)>
|Author=          <who the author of the image is>
|Permission=      <what the permissions of use are for the image>
|other_versions=  <any other variants of the image>
}}
There's a template that will add "[[Category:Puzzle Images]]"... maybe a bit easier to remember and need less typing?

{{PuzzleImage}}
Licenses... I've added a bunch of common popular licences, although more can be added if needed, particularly the Creative Commons ones

{{cc-by-2.0}} - see below
{{cc-by-2.5}} - see below
{{cc-by-3.0}} - see below
{{cc-by-sa-2.5}} - see below
{{cc-by-sa-3.0}} - see below
{{Non-free with permission}} - The copyright holder has granted permission for this image to be used on puzzle-place.com, but this permission does not extend to third parties.
{{PD}} - The image has been made public domain by the author and can be copied and used anyone for anything
{{PD-ineligible}} - The image is public domain because it's information is entirely common property and contains no original authorship
Creative Commons Licence Options
by - Attribution. Included in all CC licenses other that CC zero. Work can be copied, distributed and adapted but must always be attributed. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work, including for commercial purposes. Derivative works based on the work are also permitted.

Other options are available to add on for more specific cases:
sa - Share Alike. The licensor permits others to distribute derivative works only under a licence identical to the one that governs the licensor's work.

nd - NonDerivative. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display and perform only unaltered copies of the work -- not derivative works based on it.

nc - NonCommercial. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work for non-commercial purposes only.

Chris

Paradox

Post by Paradox » August 31st, 2011, 10:21 pm

You may need to run me through this in more depth at the MPP. I get confused easily.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » August 31st, 2011, 10:33 pm

That's cool :) Just over 2 weeks to go :D
I think Allard plans to setup the light tent (thing) so don't forget to bring anything you want photographed! ;)