Puzzle theory

Pio2001

Puzzle theory

Post by Pio2001 » August 28th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Hello,
I am going to write a paper about the method that I use to solve burrs from the disassembled pieces.

I think that I can write it in the wiki, because it is a theoretically complete method, and it works in practice with 6-pieces burrs, as long as we are careful not to forget anything. Someone asked for it in John Rausch's forum.

Therefore, if you are OK, I'll create a "Puzzle_Theory" category, and a "Solving_Burrs" page and subcategory to host the pictures (more than 40 of them, they are nearly ready).

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: Puzzle theory

Post by bluesign2k » August 28th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Yeh, that sounds cool. I'd be interested in seeing that :)

Don't worry about asking if its okay to add stuff... just go for it, and if it needs tweaking or rearranging then we can do that at a later date ;)

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 28th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Ok thanks,

I was asking because I don't know how much work it is to rename a category and move its content to a new category.

Also, I'm not used to wiki discussions. At least, now there is a topic to discuss the content of this category ;)

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 31st, 2011, 11:59 pm

Hello,
The article about solving burrs is up : http://www.puzzle-place.com/wiki/Solving_Burrs

Since I've never spoken English in my life, the text might feature some mistakes. Don't hesitate to correct them.

The page is however unlinked. Maybe we should add a link to the Puzzle Theory category in the main menu :?:

Paradox

Post by Paradox » September 1st, 2011, 9:20 am

I added a link to the Burr 'Puzzle Type' page for now. And the page looks great! I think we need to take a look at what's on the Wiki and how best to present it now as there's quite a bit of stuff that isn't indexed anywhere. We don't want anything else on the sidebar as I reckon it'll get too crowded and unreadable if we add more to it. Any thoughts?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » September 1st, 2011, 10:48 am

Pio2001 wrote:Since I've never spoken English in my life, the text might feature some mistakes. Don't hesitate to correct them.
You say you've never spoke English in your life, but I'm not sure I could have written that any better than you have. Great work!
Paradox wrote:...I think we need to take a look at what's on the Wiki and how best to present it now as there's quite a bit of stuff that isn't indexed anywhere. We don't want anything else on the sidebar as I reckon it'll get too crowded and unreadable if we add more to it. Any thoughts?
It's true, there are a number of pages which you just can't get to without knowing the link or searching for, but I'm just not sure how's best to link them in. I also agree that the sidebar is probably a little crowded as is. I think the time has maybe come to to redo the main page, it hasn't changed a whole lot since day 1 and could easily be made more user friendly. The front pages for Wikipedia, Wikimedia and MediaWiki use a more structured layout, and while the Wikipedia's make my eyes hurt due to such a mass of text, the other two are close to the sort of thing we should aim for. I'm open to better ideas though :)

Chris

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » September 1st, 2011, 12:20 pm

Thanks Image

About the sidebar, what about hierarchizing it a little more ? Something like that

Code: Select all

Main page
 Forum
 Random page
 Recent changes

+Content
++Puzzles
---by type
---by manufacturers
---by designer
---IPP puzzles
---all puzzles (list)
---all puzzles (gallery)

++People
---Manufacturers
---Designers
---Other
---All people

--Current events

++About puzzles
---Puzzle theory

--Puzzle links

+Tools
--Help
--Upload file
--Special pages
++Page tools
---What links here
---Related changes
---Printable version
---Permanent link
If the subsections are closed, it would look like :

Code: Select all

Main page
 Forum
 Random page
 Recent changes
+Content
+Tools

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » September 1st, 2011, 3:02 pm

I've re-arranged the sidebar a bit to separate the puzzles and people. Unfortunately it's not possible to add/remove links from the "Toolbox" as the links are generated by code depending on what page you're on. It's also not possible to have any further nesting in the sidebar menus.

(Okay, so it is actually possible to do both, just not without editing core code...)

Paradox

Post by Paradox » September 1st, 2011, 5:34 pm

I think it looks much better! Nice going Chris!