Categories

Pio2001

Categories

Post by Pio2001 » August 18th, 2011, 12:41 am

Hello,
I am completely new to this kind of stuff.

I read some help pages, and undestood what a category was (a native Namespace), and what a Namespace was (a type of page).
I also learn what a template was, and read the puzzle template.

I am trying to understand the relationship between puzzles, people, and categories.

Browsing the wiki a bit, it seemed to me that there were no sub-categories. Instead, Disentanglement puzzles, or Vinco, for example, are top categories.
There are pages that have the same name, that are categorized respectively as a Puzzle type, and a Designer , Manufacturer, and People. These pages redirect to the categories, that contains the main text.

Setting a designer or manufacturer name in the puzzle template automatically creates the link between the puzzle page and the category, provided that the name was written exactly as the category title.

So, in order to add new people, we need to create both the category and the page. The category must contain the summary, and the page must belong to the people category, plus manufacturer or designer, and redirect to the category.

Is it correct so far ?

Paradox

Re: Categories

Post by Paradox » August 18th, 2011, 8:17 am

Pio2001 wrote: So, in order to add new people, we need to create both the category and the page. The category must contain the summary, and the page must belong to the people category, plus manufacturer or designer, and redirect to the category.

Is it correct so far ?
Sounds right to me! But I'm still new to all this kind of stuff as well. :?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » August 18th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Yup, that's right.

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 20th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Hello,
I have added a picture of a prototype in the Tiros page. I have not put it in the puzzle category, so that pictures of prototypes do not appear in the puzzle gallery.

However, wouldn't it be useful to create other categories for pictures ? Like "Logos", for example, since Paradox uploaded some logos. That picture would be in the "Puzzlemaking" category, that could feature pictures of tools, for example.

And in order to find the picture categories somewhere, since the category page is overwhelmed with people, we could make a super-category called "Picture categories".

I prefer asking before doing it, since it deals with the way the data is organized in the wiki.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » August 20th, 2011, 6:06 pm

I'd add the prototype to the puzzle gallery anyway, I see no reason to exclude prototypes. Yeh, now there are so many logo it might be worth adding a Logos Category just to keep things tidy. What would be in a "Puzzle Making" category? What topics/pages would be covered?

I'm not sure what the advantage would be of having a "Picture Categories" category...

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 20th, 2011, 11:16 pm

bluesign2k wrote:Yeh, now there are so many logo it might be worth adding a Logos Category just to keep things tidy.
Done.
I also created a Headers category.
bluesign2k wrote:What would be in a "Puzzle Making" category? What topics/pages would be covered?
For the time being, nothing. But in the future, we may see some pages like these ones :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Precisi ... -Volume-1/
http://web.mac.com/jermcfpzls/site/Equipment.html
bluesign2k wrote:I'm not sure what the advantage would be of having a "Picture Categories" category...
Well, I created it nonetheless, because now, we have three picture categories (Puzzle Images, Logos, and Headers), and we might have some more in the future, like Solutions pictures (I already saw some pictures of that kind in the "uncategorized files"), People pictures, IPP pictures etc.

Its purpose is essentially to know what already exists in the wiki. It could be linked from the Main page, and from the Tutorial, for example.

I hope I'm not messing around too much :oops:

Paradox

Post by Paradox » August 20th, 2011, 11:58 pm

It's nice to have those pictures moved off of the 'uncategorised files' page at any rate. I don't think that the picture types category will be of any use to anyone other than the few of us making aesthetic changes to the Wiki, but it's good as a housekeeping technique.

The logos category could be useful for people looking for a specific manufacturer and can't remember the name. But even then I'm not sure if it's worth sticking on the main page. I'm starting to think the sidebar is looking a little cramped as it is.