What puzzles can I add to the wiki ?

Pio2001

Re: What puzzles can I add to the wiki ?

Post by Pio2001 » August 16th, 2011, 11:47 am

Thanks to both for the answers.
The Woodchuck page looks great, now. I didn't know how to type carriage returns.

There is just something that I might correct : Pentangle doesn't make the woodchucks out of Carolina pine. The pictures just show a copy that I own, that was made by a woodworker friend.

Which brings another question : have we got a generic permission from given manufacturers or websites to grab and post their pictures ? In doubt, I only uploaded pictures taken by myself. I didn't think about adding myself in the credits.

Since I am learning about it, could we start a tutorial page for new contributors ? I would update it with a step by step description of how to add a new puzzle, with the information that I got here.
If I don't do it now, I'll never do it.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » August 16th, 2011, 11:58 am

Pio2001 wrote:...The Woodchuck page looks great, now. I didn't know how to type carriage returns...
Yeh carriage returns seem to be a bit of a PITA, I found you either have to do a double carriage return or a simple <br> keeps things tidy :)
Pio2001 wrote:...There is just something that I might correct : Pentangle doesn't make the woodchucks out of Carolina pine. The pictures just show a copy that I own, that was made by a woodworker friend...
So your woodworker friend can be listed in the manufacturers then? ;)
Pio2001 wrote:...Which brings another question : have we got a generic permission from given manufacturers or websites to grab and post their pictures ? In doubt, I only uploaded pictures taken by myself. I didn't think about adding myself in the credits...
Yeh, we have spoken to a number of site owners and have their permission to use their images providing credit is given. In no particular order: Bill Cutler, Scott Peterson, John Devost, Robert Yarger, Eric Fuller, Steve Strickland, and Puzzle Master. Some other's I have been emailed and are awaiting a response, others have flatly refused. If there are others you'd like to contact then PM one of us first so that Puzzle Place isn't seen to be spamming people. If you're using your own images then credit yourself, they're great quality images! :D
Pio2001 wrote:...Since I am learning about it, could we start a tutorial page for new contributors ? I would update it with a step by step description of how to add a new puzzle, with the information that I got here.
Go for it, it's be really useful. Both Oli and I have discussed doing it but just never got around to putting pen to paper :)

Chris

Paradox

Post by Paradox » August 16th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Pio2001 wrote: Since I am learning about it, could we start a tutorial page for new contributors ? I would update it with a step by step description of how to add a new puzzle, with the information that I got here.
That sounds like a great idea to me if you're willing to type something up! It's definitely something that is needed to save explanations further down the line.

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 16th, 2011, 7:44 pm

bluesign2k wrote:So your woodworker friend can be listed in the manufacturers then? ;)
I'll do it when I post a puzzle that he has officially manufactured. That could be Daedalus, The "18 Piece", Tiros, Lange Wapper 14, Typhoon, Sticks in a Cage... or rarer puzzles, like Cristal en Entrecroisés, the 36 Piece Cross, Harmonica, Simple UC trapped... (whose designers I'll add too)... or some designs by Stewart Coffin : Jupiter, Scorpius...

Wait !...
The Jupiter is not in the wiki ?! :shock:

I'll be back... :arrow:

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 16th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Btw, I'd like to illustrate the tutorial with screen captures. Should there be a category for them ?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » August 16th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Pio2001 wrote:Wait !...
The Jupiter is not in the wiki ?! :shock:

I'll be back... :arrow:
:lol: Yeh, there's a few puzzles that really probably should be there but aren't yet.
Pio2001 wrote:Btw, I'd like to illustrate the tutorial with screen captures. Should there be a category for them ?
I don't think so, there's no category for banners etc The only reason the puzzle images are in a category is to make the puzzle gallery work :)

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 17th, 2011, 1:01 am

bluesign2k wrote:Pass. I've gone throught the history of your uploads and I can't see where you've done this. You should be able to add [[Category:Puzzle Images]] into the "Summary" box when you upload the image... that's they way I always do it these days.
Here are pictures of the problem, from the "User contributions" page. I uploaded the Jupiter - Vigouroux.jpg file with the category and credits in the comment field (scroll down the attached picture to see it), while the Jupiter - Vigouroux - Pieces1 and 2 were uploaded without comment, then edited.

It is really a minor problem. Nothing to worry about.

Below is a capture from the file page, where I initially saw the problem.

The tutorial is underway, but it takes a bit more time than I expected.
Attachments
Comment2.png
Comment2.png (16.12 KiB) Viewed 12491 times
Comment.png
Comment.png (32.23 KiB) Viewed 12491 times

Paradox

Post by Paradox » August 17th, 2011, 8:50 am

Just letting you know that I've created a page for Jupiter using your uploaded images here: Jupiter - Puzzle Place

Please feel free to change any details that are incorrect. :)

Also: You have your own page now! You could add a little about yourself if you wanted to. Guillaume Largounez - Puzzle Place

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » August 17th, 2011, 10:50 am

Pio2001 wrote:
bluesign2k wrote:Pass. I've gone throught the history of your uploads and I can't see where you've done this. You should be able to add [[Category:Puzzle Images]] into the "Summary" box when you upload the image... that's they way I always do it these days.
Here are pictures of the problem, from the "User contributions" page. I uploaded the Jupiter - Vigouroux.jpg file with the category and credits in the comment field (scroll down the attached picture to see it), while the Jupiter - Vigouroux - Pieces1 and 2 were uploaded without comment, then edited.

It is really a minor problem. Nothing to worry about.

Below is a capture from the file page, where I initially saw the problem.

The tutorial is underway, but it takes a bit more time than I expected.
Right, I can see what you mean now. As you say, it's not really a problem. The reason I've never seen this happen before is because I only usually add the category code and no additional comments. Maybe it's worth putting the comments first and the category tag at the end?

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » August 19th, 2011, 12:42 am

I have begun a tutorial for people to easily add new puzzles to the wiki.

The page is yet under construction, but I have saved it, because I have finished the part about uploading pictures, and I'm going to get a bit of rest.
You can go on with the sections that are "under construction", or edit what is already done.

http://www.puzzle-place.com/wiki/Tutorial