Problems & Issues

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: Problems & Issues

Post by bluesign2k » April 13th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that as I tend to open the pages full screen but it does appear that if the window isn't wide enough then then the info box gets shoved down :( I'll have to see if I can find a way to scale the image to fit, else I'll just have move the image size back down.

Alternatively I guess the image could be put in a cell that is fixed to the right of the info box... not sure what would happen to the text though... :?

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 13th, 2012, 11:11 pm

Paradox wrote:Now that the puzzle image are bigger it seems to shift the layout of some pages in a not very ideal fashion.

As an example, the Lopsided 51 picture has shunted the text box to the bottom, which does not look good. :?
That only happens if your window isn't big enough. If we tweak the template so that the image comes after the table, with an alight=right, that should fix it up. On a narrow window, the table will be first, and the image below, and if you haave enough real estate, it will not change anything.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » April 13th, 2012, 11:34 pm

I just went to try out you suggestion but it appears that the template already uses the "right" option :(
If you want to have a fiddle with template then feel free... then you should have edit permissions now :)

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 14th, 2012, 3:05 am

Erk ... now I can do real damage.

Ok, so after a few attempts, (sorry about the multiple edits) I've got it to do something approaching what you wanted.

The Table will always remain on the left, and the main image will be on the right if there is enough space in your browser window, and drop below the table if there's not. To do that I changed the order of the table and the image in the template. That makes sure things appear in the order we want as previously the image was the first element displayed!)

I've also made sure that the gallery stags below. Initially I got some strange effects from the align commands, which meant that the puzzle name, and the gallery images and extra text jumped around interestingly. I think I've got that working though.

If you decide you don't like it, then obviously put it back. I'll not be offended!

And can I just say ... that's horrible to edit! :shock:
Last edited by TheJuggler on April 14th, 2012, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 14th, 2012, 3:12 am

So a quick addendum to the previous update. I noticed that there's freeform text (like in Mike T's stuff) which is now pushed below the image, rather than sitting in the space under the table, to the left of the image.

The reason is that it's not part of the PuzzleBox template, so as such the html renders the puzzlebox stuff first, then the freeform text. To keep everything working, I have to add <br clear="all"> which makes sure all the left/right alignment stuff is cleared out, otherwise you see text bouncing to strange spaces.

If we move that freeform text to a section in the Puzzlebox template (doesn't need to be in the table) then we can control its positioning.

Let me know if you want me to go look at that, and I'll see what I can do. May take a couple of hours.

On a side note, do we have a test server or a template I can mess with without affecting the live data? I was a little nervous going in and messing with the live data, as I could have made a real mess if the html had gone nuts (which is a real possibility when you start messing with the structure of elements).

Cheers

Neil

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » April 14th, 2012, 10:36 am

Hi Neil,

Thanks for looking at this! While I'm fine with programming firmware, I've done little web based stuff so the help is appreciated. I think the changes you've made are definitely a step in the right direction but I think there are still some more changes needed as there are inconsistencies between pages. Below are three screenshots of different puzzle pages all of which have different layouts. :shock:

Currently there isn't a test setup other than the test page on the wiki which I used quite a bit in the beginning, but clearly making multiple tweaks leaves the changelog looking a bit of a mess. Therefore, I'll setup a separate test wiki so key templates can be modified without worrying about killing other live pages or filling up the change log. I'll let you know the details once it's running.

Thanks again,

Chris
1.png
1.png (270.54 KiB) Viewed 11219 times
2.png
2.png (671.15 KiB) Viewed 11219 times
3.png
3.png (939.97 KiB) Viewed 11219 times

Paradox

Post by Paradox » April 14th, 2012, 11:19 am

Just one more issue to bring up (and then I'll stop....honest!): When using the search bar it isn't necessary to capitalise the first letter in order for the drop down search list to work, but it is necessary for any word that follows. If I type in 'Cast News' then it comes up in the drop down list of the search bar, but if I type 'Cast news' the drop down list won't find it.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » April 14th, 2012, 11:58 am

Paradox wrote:Just one more issue to bring up (and then I'll stop....honest!): When using the search bar it isn't necessary to capitalise the first letter in order for the drop down search list to work, but it is necessary for any word that follows. If I type in 'Cast News' then it comes up in the drop down list of the search bar, but if I type 'Cast news' the drop down list won't find it.
Try again ;)

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the screenshots.

Let me go look at the rest of the text as I think I know what's happening.....

I set the table width to be 400 (I think) in width.
Each TR/TD can also have a width.
I think what we see is that there is text in one of the TD fields that is bigger than the 400, so it forces the table to get bigger rather than wrap the text onto the next line. I should be able to force the width of each data element so that the name and description adds up to 400 (or whatever we want that looks good) which should force things to align the same on all pages.

We can also add style="text-wrap:normal" to the <td> field to force the text to wrap ... all of these combined should work. (I hate html ... it's not consistent!)

The random text placement, may be the rendering order. I admit I was bad last night when I was doing this as I only tested it in Firefox, and not IE, Google, Safari as I normally do when messing with HTML.

Paradox

Post by Paradox » June 1st, 2012, 1:29 pm

Can someone please help me add the 'IPP' page to the 'Events' page without bringing it up as a sub-folder type thing? :?