Problems & Issues

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: Problems & Issues

Post by bluesign2k » June 1st, 2012, 1:53 pm

Easy. Use the IPP page rather that the category.
Take a look now, was that what you were aiming for?

Paradox

Post by Paradox » June 3rd, 2012, 12:12 pm

bluesign2k wrote:Easy. Use the IPP page rather that the category.
Take a look now, was that what you were aiming for?
As yes, that was it! Thank you! :oops:

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » June 8th, 2012, 12:53 am

Hello,
There is somlething strange going on with the new pictures. I keep getting the message "Error creating thumbnail: Unable to run external programs, passthru() is disabled", instead of the picture itself.

Examples :
http://www.puzzle-place.com/wiki/Condor%27s_Peeper
http://www.puzzle-place.com/wiki/File:Tangram.jpg

Paradox

Post by Paradox » June 8th, 2012, 8:30 am

Weird. I tried saving a copy of the image and replacing it and it didn't work for me either. :?

Sounds like a job for Bluesign...

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » June 8th, 2012, 9:39 am

:(
I can see exactly what the problem is... it looks like the hosts are once again trying to make things difficult. Next year we're definitely moving!

I can fix it straight away by using an alternative thumbnailer, but it'll restrict the amount of filetype we can use and the thumbnails will be poorer quality so I'm not inclined to do this. Other than that I'll have to find a way to re-enable to disabled functions... this will take more time as I'll have to figure out how to do it (I'm assuming I can), but I think it's the better option.

I'll keep you posted but for the time being uploads will be disabled (editing can continue though).

Cheers,
Chris

update: I can't seem to fix it from my end so have contacted the hosts in the hope that they'll fix what they broke :roll:

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » June 8th, 2012, 11:50 am

Thanks for the quick info !

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » June 8th, 2012, 11:54 am

No problem, I'm just sorry that the site isn't fully functional :(

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » June 8th, 2012, 12:48 pm

The host tells me that they've had some malicious attacks on some of their servers and have therefore disable the use of a small selection of php functions that have potential security vulnerabilities. Unfortunately, one of these functions is used by the thumbnailer. While I can override and re-enable some of the functions, I can't seem to fix the one we need :(

I've therefore resorted to a dirty fix using an alternative thumbnailer. I works, but not with all file types, and I believe that it may screw up if you upload files with characters from the extended set (such as éáó etc).

So, it should work again now but you'll have to shout if you see any more weirdness.

Cheers,
Chris

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » June 18th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Hello Chris,
Some of us have put a lot a work into the wiki. Maybe you already answered this question, but is there someone else who has the administrator rights on the wiki besides you, and who could keep the wiki online and working in case something would happen to you ?

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » June 18th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Hey :)

It's not something that has ever really been discussed, though you are right that others such as yourself have put a lot of time and effort into the wiki. As it happens though, Neil (TheJuggler) has full access to the server and I'm confident he could continue to maintain it if necessary. Nigel (Barcared) also has access and lives close to me so I'm sure could find someone to help (if he couldn't himself) if something happened to me.

Oli and Neil are also admin/bureaucrats on the wiki.