Creating new pages

TheJuggler

Creating new pages

Post by TheJuggler » April 27th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Ok, so how the heck do you create a new page? I managed to upload the image of the puzzle, but I can't see how to add a new puzzle page. Am I just being dense?

Paradox

Re: Creating new pages

Post by Paradox » April 27th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Just so you know, I'm away from my computer until this evening, so I don't want to write a full length reply on my phone. But I will do so later for you.

Alhough I secretly hope Chris gets here first. :lol:

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 27th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Paradox wrote:Just so you know, I'm away from my computer until this evening, so I don't want to write a full length reply on my phone. But I will do so later for you.

Alhough I secretly hope Chris gets here first. :lol:
Ok, so that means I'm missing somethign blaringly obvious, and I will deserve whatever ridicule is sent my direction. Cheers Oli.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 27th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Ok, I have now figured things out. First time using a wiki, so this is new!

Paradox

Post by Paradox » April 27th, 2011, 6:13 pm

I saw! Nicely done!

Just make sure that you rename picture uploads to the puzzle's name, otherwise they won't come up properly in the gallery.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 27th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Paradox wrote:I saw! Nicely done!

Just make sure that you rename picture uploads to the puzzle's name, otherwise they won't come up properly in the gallery.
Ok, so how do you rename the picture then? I didn't see a way to do that. Man this is all new! :lol:

Paradox

Post by Paradox » April 27th, 2011, 7:28 pm

No idea! I just don't make mistakes. :lol:

I imagine that the original has to be deleted and then he image would be uploaded again to the intended file name. Once again I'll mention that I'm also learning (on a very steep curve), so forgive me if I'm a bit (a lot) vague sometimes.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » April 27th, 2011, 8:06 pm

TheJuggler wrote:
Paradox wrote:I saw! Nicely done!

Ok, so how do you rename the picture then? I didn't see a way to do that. Man this is all new! :lol:
Once a picture is uploaded it is just treated as a special page. So, to rename a picture you have to use the "Move" option. It's to the right of the edit tab in the drop-down arrow. Unfortunately, because the wiki tries to be clever, it also preserves the old filename... so after the move, the old page needs to be deleted (not critical but it makes things tidy).

Don't worry about making mistakes as they're easily fixed by others if necessary. Oli and I tend to go through the edit logs anyway to see what's been done so if there are any issues they're generally found fairly quickly :)

I've put up some notes/reminders on the front page of the wiki which if followed should prevent issues further down the line.

Good work so far though! :D

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 27th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Thanks Chris. I saw the notes, then asked the question for pretty much each one of those.... how do I do that!

Can you maybe create a "stupid mistakes that new people make all the time making my life difficult section"?

I haven't even seen half of the the buttons that you mentioned in the last post, so I'm fumbling a little here. Thanks for cleaning up a couple of the mistakes I had. The warning that popped up with my bad image name would have been better if it was a 'Stop, I won't let you upload with a naff name unless you're really sure' warning.

I guess I'll work things out as I go. Please forgive the new boy mistakes. (and dammit, I've been writing HTML and serving my own pages for nearly 20 years!)

So I had a look for move, and despite seeing the option on the main page, I don't see that on the images (like kuku.jpg for example). Am I missing something? (again?)

Ok, further confusion. When adding someone new, we have to add the [[Category:People]] to their page, not category. But when I click someone that exists, I get to their category, so is this their page, or their category, and is the redirect link created automatically? That's all just confusing!

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » April 27th, 2011, 8:48 pm

No problem. As Oli said, we're all learning. While I've edited the odd page on various wikis here and there this is the first time I've had to actually think about how all the pages should link together. I've certainly never helped run a wiki before.

We'll put together some kind of beginners guide soon but I confess that I won't be able to spend a whole lot of time doing that until next week. Don't worry about mistakes, the beauty of a wiki is that they're easily corrected.

As for the Move button... I've just checked and it would appear that unless you're admin it's not available... I'll have to go and have a look into this and see if this can be changed.