Articles about puzzles in general

Pio2001

Articles about puzzles in general

Post by Pio2001 » July 20th, 2013, 12:15 am

Hi, I have started a page about Diagonal Burrs in general in the wiki : http://www.puzzle-place.com/wiki/Diagonal_Burrs

Similar pages about 6-piece burrs, high level burrs, multi-axis puzzles, and more could be created. Since they are not visible unless someone provides a direct link, what about including them in a presentation of the content of the wiki in the main page ?

For example, a section of the main page could provide a link to a category that would feature all pages of this kind, another link to the puzzle category, and a third to the people category.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: Articles about puzzles in general

Post by bluesign2k » July 20th, 2013, 11:25 am

I've was watching you put that page together over the past couple of days. It's looking really great!

I like the idea of having more general articles to explain different types of puzzles etc and including some sort of link on the main page so they can be easily accessed. To be honest, that's why the link to Jerry Slocum's Categorisation is randomly placed at the bottom of the page - so that it wouldn't be forgotten. This could also be expanded into an article on puzzle categorisation.

How about, for the time being, all such articles are put in a category called "Articles"? Then, if many articles are made, sub categories can be created.

I've added you to the admin group for the wiki so you can now edit protected pages (such as the main page). I began a new layout of the main page here but never got around to finishing it. The articles would probably fit well under the Popular and useful pages heading.

Pio2001

Re: Articles about puzzles in general

Post by Pio2001 » July 22nd, 2013, 11:15 pm

bluesign2k wrote:How about, for the time being, all such articles are put in a category called "Articles"? Then, if many articles are made, sub categories can be created.
That's exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for updating my status !

In the short term, we can create the Article category, update the Diagonal Burr article with links to the puzzles pages, and rework the main page.

Then, I may write about six-piece burrs.
...and about multi-axis puzzles. There is a lot to say about them : Coffin's work around Jupiter and Scorpius, and the large families of the cuckoo nest and Hexstciks puzzles. Then the different approach of Jane Kosticks, that allows to link the triacontrahedral geometry with different puzzles like the five intersecting tetrahedrons, or other very rare ones like the six interleaved pentagons or the ten triangles. Then, the Frabjous, a triacontrahedral design, can be used to introduce a completely opposed work, that is the one of George Hart. Jane's language is all about axes, while Goerge's work all relies on planes.