Mays Roller Maze | date

Splinter

Mays Roller Maze | date

Post by Splinter » January 20th, 2013, 2:41 pm

I was looking to add some information for the Mays Roller Maze in the Wiki (but saw that Oli already updated some info).

I've a problem to date this puzzle: by the looks of the box, it seems to me a puzzle from before 1980. From the looks I'd guess it's somewhere between 1974 and 1979.

Looking at the box, there's some manufacturer information (Mays Toys Ltd. in England) and patent information. And because I'm quite used to searching a patent database that looked liked the best lead for me.
But alas: the number 38518/78 is for a 'provisional patent' (patent application) not for a registered patent ('valid patent'). My search via this link did not provide any results. Also searching in Espacenet did not provide a result.

Also, this manufacturer is not known to me. And long gone it seems (cannot be found on internet, so probably ceased to exist before internet came around). Searching for 'Mays Toys' will lead you to the toys of James Mays... :)

Anyone visiting the official paper database in U.K. maybe some day?
(there it should be able to find. It seems no USA patent application number to me, but I can be wrong here. Pre-1980 there were very apart patent systems worldwide)

Splinter

Re: Mays Roller Maze | date

Post by Splinter » January 23rd, 2013, 7:29 am

This registration number 38518/78 keeps puzzling me.

I've used a professional database with U.K. patent applications listed (early ones included), and found out that U.K. patents have 6 full digits in the early days, and 7 lateron.
If I should read the above number as GB38518x, this would have been a patent (application) from around 1932. (Which seems not correct)

Also nothing found here for a Mays Toys company.

If anyone like a GB patent attorney or lawyer reads this (now or in future) and can clarify: it'll be much appreciated.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » January 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm

I found Mays Toys Limited on Companies House. The company number is 01396861.

It appears that the registered office for the company was Boswell House, 1/5 Broad Street, in Oxford. The company was setup on 31/10/1978. However, it would appear that the company later changed it's name on 31/12/1980. I can't find any information beyond that date though. However, if the box has this name then it must have been produced in a 2 year window between the end of 1978 and the end of 1980. Hope that helps...

Splinter

Post by Splinter » January 23rd, 2013, 9:31 pm

Great info!

Would be nice to learn whether Mays Toys actually produced some other toys/puzzles in those period or 'only' the Mays Maze Roller.
Love to dig in such history.

I suppose 'Mays' would come from the owner's name.
It's good that the looks from the puzzle + box indeed match your info. I think we can rightfully date the Mays Maze Roller at approximately 1978.
Production numbers: I think (due to the patent application) Mays Toys had (too) high expectations, and due to the investment in moulds there should be quite some made. Though I had never seen it before until Louis noticed me to it and I acquired one myself. Although I knew many toys in 1978/1980, this puzzle may have not been sold outside U.K..

Would be stunning when indeed we also could get a hold on the patent application, to see what date (and info) that has. Probably 1978 (normally you first file a patent application and then produce).

Splinter

Post by Splinter » January 24th, 2013, 7:45 am

bluesign2k wrote:It appears that the registered office for the company was Boswell House, 1/5 Broad Street, in Oxford. The company was setup on 31/10/1978. However, it would appear that the company later changed it's name on 31/12/1980.
I've found some info on the Boswell House, but no mention of the Mays Toys and Gifts company or family name. (Only Pearson and Boswell)
But the Boswell House very likely could be a place where puzzles were sold.

It appears that the original name is Mays Toys Limited, which changed on 31. Dec 1980 to Mays Toys and Gifts Limited.