Lock picking puzzlers

Reg9

Lock picking puzzlers

Post by Reg9 » October 19th, 2013, 3:41 pm

How many of the puzzlers (%) out there are also skilled at picking locks? There seems to be an obvious connection.
You guys have probably already covered this, but I am curious. :)

Quiz: Which term does not belong in this group ( Rake, Tension wrench, Spool pin, Shovel, Side bar). ;)

TheWaddler

Re: Lock picking puzzlers

Post by TheWaddler » October 20th, 2013, 1:06 pm

I've dabbled in lock picking, I wouldn't say I'm that skilled though, I have a bit of a problem with security pins!!

Oli (Paradox) has dabbled too and we know a few others from the Revomaze forum. So maybe not as many as you thought.

Answer: Shovel (though I've never heard of a side bar .... amateur!! :roll: )

Reg9

Post by Reg9 » October 21st, 2013, 3:50 am

I meant 'additionally skilled', rather than "also skilled". I don't wish to suggest that I have any skill, though other puzzlers may. :oops:

I think "side bar" is the right term... but not certain. It has been about twenty years since I read up on on the subject. General Motors used a side bar lock back then, and I think Medeco also uses a side bar (in addition to all their other wicked cool mech's). The bar blocks rotation of the cylinder unless all pins are lined up simultaneously, thus the design is such that torque on the cylinder does not bind the pins, only the side bar.

A lock just seems like a puzzle that is designed not to be solved. :)

Letrow

Post by Letrow » October 21st, 2013, 11:44 am

I did a bit of lockpicking and still try it now and then. I am not great at it, but I like it when a lock pops open.
I started young with simple locks and an utensil I had on a pocket knife back then.
Then later on I acquired a lockpicking set and tried some more modern locks. Some of these are difficult to crack.
In Holland there is Toool (https://toool.nl/Toool), which organizes events. There is a link with puzzles I think, but puzzles are about how they look as well of course. A lock is just a lock in the end.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » October 21st, 2013, 8:12 pm

Russ, a regular MPP attendee is into his lock picking. I watched in amazement at how easy he made it look. I've often considered looking into buying some picks and getting into it but I'm not sure where to start. From memory, I think Ali also knows about lock picking too, but I may be wrong about that.

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » October 23rd, 2013, 11:47 pm

I've done a little "gaining entry" into certain properties, but that's work related.

Yes I was encouraged by Russ ;) and now have a couple of sets of picks. I also have a few practice locks of various types.
Push, pull, twist, slide...........open! :)

Paradox

Post by Paradox » November 5th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Yep, Russ got me into lock picking at a previous MPP. I was always curious to try, but he gave me the nudge I needed to buy a proper tool set.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » November 5th, 2013, 2:22 pm

What did you get and where from? I've been temped to pick up a South-Ord set from UK Bump Keys.

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » November 5th, 2013, 10:16 pm

bluesign2k wrote:What did you get and where from? I've been temped to pick up a South-Ord set from UK Bump Keys.
That's what I bought and from Bump Keys.
Quality is first class and so is the service from BK.

The jacknife is a must !
Push, pull, twist, slide...........open! :)

Paradox

Post by Paradox » November 15th, 2013, 1:23 pm

bluesign2k wrote:What did you get and where from? I've been temped to pick up a South-Ord set from UK Bump Keys.
That's exactly what I ordered as well...and from the same retailer! :D