Ex Revomaze Members Area

BarnDoor

Re: Ex Revomaze Members Area

Post by BarnDoor » April 1st, 2013, 8:12 pm

Barcared wrote:There'll be plenty of the ones you didn't get on show at MPP as Ali, Allard and I got the whole lot :D
Excellent :D But I'll have to wait for the MPP on 22nd of June - I'm away for most of April.

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » April 1st, 2013, 8:56 pm

Hi Joe, great to see you here.

Talking of Eric's latest I see he posted that the mini acrylics are only about an inch in size.........now that's mini!
Push, pull, twist, slide...........open! :)

BarnDoor

Post by BarnDoor » April 1st, 2013, 9:16 pm

Hi Ali, yes it seems we will need the magnifying glass and tweezers for the Mini Burrs ;) They should be quite a challenge

Paradox

Post by Paradox » April 2nd, 2013, 9:59 am

Hey all! Great to see so many familiar faces!

Ali was kind enough to add a couple of bits onto his order for me, so I'll be getting the Double Cross and a black Cartesian Wallet when they arrive.

Like Chris I'm really looking forward to the next update where we'll hopefully see the next box in the Havana series. Oh how I love puzzle boxes! :D

My Karakuri 'Box With A Tree' also arrived recently. Very glad to finally have one of these in my collection.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 2nd, 2013, 5:11 pm

Well I got my box yesterday, including the 4 stick 8.

Sadly I have a duplicate board in the 4-stick8, making it impossible to solve. Probably means that someone out there has my duplicate piece and will also be unable to solve it.

Talked to Eric and he's sending me a correct replacement, so not a real issue. Apparently he has a student helping him out who did all the packing ... lets hope it's a one off mistake! (At least Eric is hoping it's a one off mistake.)

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » April 2nd, 2013, 9:16 pm

Good news Neil on your delivery, shame about the duplicate.

So what do you reckon to the size of these Mini-Burrs? Fiddly or Fun?

Barcared

Post by Barcared » April 4th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Finally got up to date by reading all the unread posts on here (basically all of them!) and there is some really interesting stuff on here. The threads on wood colouring and burr solving are of particular interest but I'm still a little unclear as the the Burr vs Interlocking definition (although I am aware that Burrs are supposed to be a sub category of Interlocking it makes categorising other types of interlocking puzzles difficult). For me a burr must look like a Burr and have burr type pieces and movement. Everything else is an interlocking puzzle within that group.

I look forward to adding to active threads and to puzzle addition once I have been coached in the art by Gurus Chris and Oli at the next MPP. :)

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 4th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Alimorris wrote:Good news Neil on your delivery, shame about the duplicate.

So what do you reckon to the size of these Mini-Burrs? Fiddly or Fun?
I'll let you know when I get the correct piece to actually try solving it. So far though, I'm aiming more at fiddly than fun. The wood pieces are so thin. No real fear of breaking as they're all really dense woods, but manipulating them can be a challenge. Of course I have the added challenge of only one thumb which bends at the joint, but even still.

Although Eric quotes them at around an inch, the inch comes from the acrylic the wood pieces are 6mm x 6mm x 25mm (rough guess as I don't have the piece in my hand right now. I'll snap a few pics for anyone who's not received theirs yet.

They're great from Eric's perspective as I'm sure these were made from a bunch of off cuts in the shop so it uses up good wood a makes some nice puzzles. Just a little too small in my mind.

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » April 4th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Thanks Neil,

Blimey!!! 6mm ish pieces. Now that's small.....
I had hoped for 10-12mm but I guess they will be interesting :shock:

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 6th, 2013, 3:01 am

Damn these are fiddly!

The top of each wooden piece is 10mmx10mm, so the strut of the burr is 2.5mm making each cubie 2.5mm x 2.5mm

They're not easy to put together ... which as say because I'm not a burr solver, and even using Burr Tools to put this together was darn tricky!

Looks great though.
Attachments
4_stick_8.JPG
4 Stick 8 Mini Burr
4_stick_8.JPG (139.2 KiB) Viewed 9859 times