IMG_2160.jpg
IMG_2160.jpg (129.31 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
Wiki page : http://www.puzzle-place.com/wiki/Ocvalhedron
Type : take-apart... and reassemble
Estimated solving time (taking apart or reassembling) :
Beginner : 10 minutes
Casual puzzlist : 5 minutes
Expert puzzlist : 2 minutes

The + : an outstanding piece of craftsmaship.
The - : a bit too simple

My rating : 5/5

The Ocvalhedron is regularly available at Vinco's online shop. It might also appear in some other shops selling Vinco's puzzles, like Puzzle Master or Mr Puzzle.
This puzzle has something special : tens have been manufactured, but they are always different. The core of the puzzle is hidden inside, and provides the locking mechanism. What is visible is only a decoration, and each one is unique. You can choose the exact model you want, at least on Vinco's website.

The decoration is at least half of the puzzle's interest. Initially made of cubes and boards of contrasting woods glued together, they are then cut at odd angles with round parts, which gives the impression that the woods were chiseled into curved surfaces. Some models take advantage of the natural patterns in the wood itself, like the one in light plum in the picture at the bottom of this message.
All Ocvalhedrons made by Vinco can be seen in his gallery of sold puzzles : http://www.vinco.cz/puzzles/puzzles-already-sold

They are all made with european woods that Vinco gets locally. There are even pictures of the felling of the plum tree that was used for his puzzles on his site.

The puzzle itself belongs to the coordinate motion category. It is said in Vinco's website, so this is not a secret. However, the right place where to pull, or push, is not obvious. I have long opened my Ocvalhedrons using a rather clumsly method, until someone showed me a much more effective one.
The puzzle may also open by itself if you spin it along the right axis, like many coordinate motion puzzles. But this method is strongly disadvised if you don't have a large soft surface, because the pieces might fly farther than expected, and get scratched or damaged if they fall of a hard surface.
Putting back the puzzle together doesn't require any special amount of dexterity. The four pieces are different, but the right combination is quickly found.

I got my three Ocvalhedron watching closely for Vinco's updates, and buying immediately the most beatiful ones. That is something that I appreciate : instead of selling the nicest pieces at higher prices, they are sold to the first one who asks for them.

I rate it 5/5, because its outstanding look balances the simplicity of its mechanism.
IMG_0856_1.jpg
IMG_0856_1.jpg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
IMG_0237.jpg
IMG_0237.jpg (93.42 KiB) Viewed 7346 times

mohsinj677

Re: Vinco's Ocvalhedron

Post by mohsinj677 » September 5th, 2013, 5:26 am

:P This post is so great and nice :x

The puzzle itself belongs to the coordinate motion category. It is said in Vinco's website, so this is not a secret. However, the right place where to pull, or push, is not obvious. I have long opened my Ocvalhedrons using a rather clumsly method, until someone showed me a much more effective one.
ipass4sure.co.uk/ http://ipass4sure.co.uk/
actualtests ccna security certification training actualtests ccna security certification training
actualtests 1z0-051 braindumps actualtests 1z0-051 braindumps