My puzzle project

Have a project you're currently working on? Post it here!
Splinter

Re: My puzzle project

Post by Splinter » December 3rd, 2012, 8:37 am

Paradox wrote:Excellent designs Splinter! Very very nice! I'm especially drawn to the cone for some reason, perhaps because I've never seen a conical maze before.
This was the reason I made the cone. :D
I like this one also very much, though the order of the segments cannot be changed (and with the MazeRoll it can).

Especially it was difficult to create maze paths in the top of the cone, but I think I succeeded. (The ball of this puzzle however is 2,5 mm, while for the other puzzles it's 1/8". Else I couldn't manage to create the top paths (or had to make the puzzle quite bigger)).

Louis

Post by Louis » December 3rd, 2012, 8:55 pm

The MazeRoll was shown to James Dalgety and his guests (mostly MPP folks) last weekend.
James did not have such a dynamic cylindrical maze in his collection yet!
He did have a static cylindrical maze and a few dynamic 2D tile mazes, but that's different.
Several guests tried and solved the MazeRoll that day.

The pictures in this topic don't even fully show the smartest part of the MazeRoll which makes solving it much more complex (hence more fun) than "align the rings and follow the path". The rotation of adjacent rings is restricted by a simple groove-and-notch system, especially designed to prevent you from positioning the rings such that the maze can be navigated at once. In other words, you are forced to reposition the rings several times while he ball is somewhere in the maze. This makes solving take longer than you would expect at first sight!

I admire the engineering that went into this smart mechanical construction, an I hope it can be (cheaply mass-) produced one day. Until then a shapeways version would be nice, although judging from the volume I fear it will not be cheap from shapeways.

As a puzzle I like the roll better than the cone and ball, because it is smaller (more 'puzzle sized') and uses the available surface most efficiently.
As a decorative item I like the cone more (Christmas tree, anyone?).

Splinter, thanks for sharing these with us, and keep us posted on your future puzzle designs.
I will always be happy to take examples or prototypes to a MPP (or other puzzle party) for other puzzlers to review and give feedback. Or even better, I will be happy to take you along to a puzzle party!
<hidden></hidden>

Splinter

Post by Splinter » December 11th, 2012, 8:07 am

With Louis so relatively close living to me, that should bring something for the future I guess....

Latest update regarding the maze puzzles: the designs are registered and published now.
The designs are registered under no. 002144584-0001 / -0002 / -0003

I'll now start finalizing the Shapeways models, so that interested persons can order them somewhere in January.
Based on the costs for the prototype manufacture, I expect to be able to offer at Shapeways the MazeRoll for about Euro 90,-, the MazeCone for about Euro 120,- and the MazeBall (twice the size) for about Euro 225,-.

Paradox

Post by Paradox » January 7th, 2013, 11:04 am

For those interested, the MazeBall and MazeRoll are now available on Splinter's Shapeways Shop! :D

Also, if you don't feel like assembling them yourself, buy them ready assembled Here.

Splinter

Post by Splinter » January 7th, 2013, 1:13 pm

How did you find out? :lol:
(Google? I already saw it having indexed "MazeCone" as this is a very unique term)
(Searching the "newest puzzles" on Shapeways?)

I'm planning to present all three puzzles separately end of this week. As I still have to upload the final model for the MazeCone to Shapeways.

Where is the location for "new puzzles" on this forum? Shall I use "puzzles for sale"?

PS The links above also provide links to the Youtube channel where you can find live motion impressions.
PS-2 Watch the MazeBall movie and you can see its weird designer ;-)

- Splinter

Paradox

Post by Paradox » January 8th, 2013, 8:33 am

Splinter wrote:How did you find out? :lol:
(Google? I already saw it having indexed "MazeCone" as this is a very unique term)
(Searching the "newest puzzles" on Shapeways?)
It's hard to hide puzzle related stuff away from me, I'll always find it eventually! :lol:

I regularly check to see what new puzzle designs have been added to Shapeways. So I just did a Shapeways search for 'puzzle' and sorted the results by recency, and there they were right at the top! :D

A 'New Puzzles' area could be useful actually. That's Chris' department, so we'll see what he thinks when he reads this post. If it's not sirted before then feel free to post it here or in 'Puzzles For Sale' and we can move it later if need be.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » January 8th, 2013, 12:10 pm

While a "New Puzzles" are sounds good, my fear is that it will lead to fragmentation since we already have "General", For Sale and Projects. If we really think its needed then I will certainly do it but I think at the moment, using the "for Sale" section is the best bet. There's nothing to stop you putting it as a site notice on the wiki for a while if you wish. One of my intentions for the front page of the wiki is to add a news / new puzzles table or notice area for this purpose.

Does the sphere version of the puzzle come with a stand to prevent it rolling off the shelf? :shock:

Splinter

Post by Splinter » January 8th, 2013, 12:55 pm

bluesign2k wrote:Does the sphere version of the puzzle come with a stand to prevent it rolling off the shelf? :shock:
I have not included a stand for it. Do you have experience with spherical puzzles rolling off?

The MazeBall does roll a little when placed on a flat surface, but the mass distribution is such that it will rest on a side. There's a somewhat flat top and bottom (due to a small hole), and the grooves prevent too enthusiastic rolling.

As long as your shelves are not tilted much, I don't think I've created a perpetuum mobile :roll:
And 2 MazeCones could be a nice 'bumper' to hold a MazeBall :mrgreen:

PS Like suggested, I'll place the puzzles in the 'for sale' section.

Paradox

Post by Paradox » January 8th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Just as a thought; If you removed the support material that holds the pieces to each other from the design you could then allow people to order from Shapeways in 'Coloured SF' material as well the usual WSF. Because those pieces have to be broken off during assembly you couldn't enable it beforehand as it would leave white patches where pieces had been separated. I think it would look awesome in red or purple!

You should consider dying each maze piece a different colour. Rainbow MazeCone!!! :D

And another question that pops to mind; If you printed the puzzle in 'Polished WSF' would that negate the need to scrape out the maze paths?

Splinter

Post by Splinter » January 8th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Hi Oli,

What do you think of pop-art?
MazeRoll pop-art.JPG
MazeRoll in pop-art
MazeRoll pop-art.JPG (199.96 KiB) Viewed 16008 times
MazeRoll pop-art 2.JPG
Pop-art MazeRoll
MazeRoll pop-art 2.JPG (221.22 KiB) Viewed 16008 times
When you look carefully, you'll see that I had to recolor parts when I ordered BSF (black SF) once.
This, because the processing powder was clotted within the maze paths and slots. I have a video of the black puzzle turning into white areas while removing powder but have not uploaded this. When you look at my videos on Youtube you probably can understand that left 3D printing processing powder is an issue (alas).

So, my advise is to first make the puzzle correct and then afterwards color it. It's nice to have it colored, but I'm no coloring expert alas.

Also I don't expect that polishing will do any good for the puzzle: due to clotted powder and due to narrow tolerances/gaps in the puzzle.

Extra note: to force Shapeways to print in the same direction, I've connected the parts (as it being a model kit). Else there's more risk that Shapeways 'optimizes' the orientation for efficient printing reasons with the possible effect of printing lines showing in different directions in all parts (and probably also different tolerances in all directions)

- Splinter