My trick lock puzzle project

Have a project you're currently working on? Post it here!
TheJuggler

Re: My trick lock puzzle project

Post by TheJuggler » April 21st, 2013, 4:42 pm

I'll look forward to having a play with that on May then Allard, and hopefully pickup up one of my own in due time.

Congratulations Splinter, sounds like you've got a winner there.

Splinter

Post by Splinter » April 21st, 2013, 6:33 pm

Thanks all!

For trying the lock and all positive comments!

And you should thank Louis also for bringing it but also for getting me into this; the idea for a trick-lock came after visiting Louis and also discussing my maze puzzles and other puzzle types.
I also remembered my old trick-lock in wood I made when I was 17 (found that back also when Louis visited me).

And for you who love the mechanism: I was able to create such in relatively short time, because the basics were already here lying 'on the shelf'. Not knowing what to do with it. And then the (brilliant?) idea came to see if I could turn it with some adaptations into a trick-lock.
Alas, I've no other earlier designed mechanisms at hand so I doubt if I will be able to have another trick-lock this year.
But for sure will think about releasing some more when I find some new inspiration. (don't want to 'milk out' with slight variations of the current version)

I think Chris is right: you cannot tell people 'just do what you want with it' though it's not brittle. I think especially the shackle is a weaker part because it can create a large momentum on its material due to its length.
But I can always make available spare parts directly or through Shapeways.

If Wil thinks it's worth to see for what cost it can be made out of metal, that would be also very welcome to me.
It's not impossible (because similar parts in the mechanism already previously have been milled for the purpose I initially designed), but I fear the cost.

Good to hear that MPP10 was a success!
Oh, and guys, sorry that I was the one who initially infected Louis with the Shapeways virus. (he saw how easy it is to design and work with Shapeways at my place)
Hope you get your Revomazes back in shape again.

- Splinter
PS I've a limited amount of time for puzzles, but you see it has my focus. When I see a chance in future I'd sure like to meet-up

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » April 21st, 2013, 10:27 pm

I've ordered mine!

A few weeks and I can play again
Push, pull, twist, slide...........open! :)

Splinter

Post by Splinter » April 27th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Regarding questions I received for a metal version of the Burgh Lock, here some data:

- if the current version would be fully printed (all parts) in stainless steel, the cost of Shapeways would be Euro 480,-
However, it's impossible to print some of the internal parts in stainless steel due to the design rules of Shapeways and also due to the higher tolerances in this printing I expect problems with how the trick-lock functions.

- if only the parts most in sight would be printed in stainless steel -the box, the lid, the shackle and the two keys- the cost at Shapeways would be:
Euro 238,- metal parts
Euro 25,- plastic parts (mostly internal but showing through the keyhole also)
If a price point of Euro 275,- (excl. S&H) is acceptable for a partly metal trick-lock that also has showing some plastics internals: please inform me of your interest, and I'll discuss with Shapeways whether the outer parts indeed can be printed without problems. Please note this exploration can take months (earliest expected date of availability when possible: August 2013).

Also, I look forward to involve Wil to check if there are affordable methods to create parts using more regular techniques (like sand casting, milling and so). But don't expect a result before end of this year, because I'm almost certain some parts need to be adapted to other production methods then. Seeing the cost of 3-D printing I doubt this route will be cheaper but I'm willing to investigate the creation of the lock in more traditional material for a lock and traditional techniques.

Please be also informed that I'm no supporter of 'limited edition' / 'special edition' etc. versions; the puzzle as is available now is already quite exclusive (as are my other puzzles) due to production costs. And I have some objection to give people a puzzle experience above Euro 350,-. My puzzles work fine and give the same solving experience in WSF (but for a lock I can understand that those traditionally are metal, so also can be a preferred material for puzzles locks. And natural materials have good looks,although sometimes limited in production possibilities. I am often to the edge on the latter in 3-D printing :? )

Paradox

Post by Paradox » May 13th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Sorry for piping up a bit late.

I too had the pleasure of solving the Burgh Lock at MPP, and it really was a fun experience! It took me longer than expected (but not as long as Chris ;) ), and I was quite surprised by some of the more unique movements that are involved during the solve.

Where I would've expected to say that this is 'great as a first puzzle lock design' I will now happily go one further and say this is excellent as a puzzle lock design full stop! I would have no issue ranking this lock design right up there with the 'greats' that we already know and love. I'll certainly be ordering one ASAP. EDIT: (Ignore that...I just ordered one :D )

Thanks for sending the locks over for us to try out Splinter, and I really look forward to seeing any of your future designs.

-Oli

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » May 14th, 2013, 3:19 pm

I also spent some time playing with this at MPP 10.5 thanks to Allard, and have some comments for you. Should I send you a PM or is there an email you'd rather I sent you comments too.

Overall, great puzzle lock, and as a first design, it's superb.

Splinter

Post by Splinter » May 14th, 2013, 6:38 pm

PM sent.

Anyone that likes to contact me directly (also due to limited PM space); you can always use the contact form here.

Just sent out 2 U.K. orders for the Burgh Lock, in the same quality as shown at MPP10. Meaning that Shapeways has its tolerances under control for this puzzle (I always have to do some 'tuning' to make a perfect fit).

IZZY WIZZY

Post by IZZY WIZZY » June 6th, 2013, 3:16 pm

I’ve just ordered one of these and I’m very much looking forward to receiving it. It sounds very interesting. :P

Splinter

Post by Splinter » June 6th, 2013, 6:56 pm

IZZY WIZZY wrote:I’ve just ordered one of these and I’m very much looking forward to receiving it. It sounds very interesting. :P
I'm very honoured that your first post here is about my design Burgh Lock. It'll cost some time to have the parts printed (at Shapeways), but I'm quite sure you'll not be disappointed with the end result.

Thanks for ordering,
puzzle regards,

Splinter

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » June 9th, 2013, 9:10 pm

I got my copy and its something special!

Izzy Wizzy, you made a great choice.
Push, pull, twist, slide...........open! :)