My trick lock puzzle project

Have a project you're currently working on? Post it here!
TheJuggler

Re: My trick lock puzzle project

Post by TheJuggler » March 25th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Very encouraging write up there Louis. Sounds like this is one to keep an eye on!

Always happy to review prototypes and provide feedback too, and of course happy to pay for materials/shipping to help out.

Splinter

Post by Splinter » April 16th, 2013, 7:52 am

OK, for all those expecting....

I've received the parts for the final version from Shapeways, dyed those and assembled the bunch.
So, at the MPP10 Louis will bring to you my Burgh Lock (that's how I named it):
SSC_8892.JPG
Burgh Lock
SSC_8892.JPG (231.69 KiB) Viewed 16450 times
It will come available after MPP10 through Mfave. I've set its price (as introduction) for now at Euro 74,50.

For this you'll get:
Euro 55,- worth of plastic (Shapeways WSF)
Euro 6,50 other material
Euro 2,- color from dye powder
21% tax

Hey, but that is more value than you pay for. How come?
Well:
I already think Euro 74,50 is still a lot of money for one puzzle, although it may look a bargain in value regarding the production cost when you would order it yourself as private person. Therefore this introduction price (will probably be up for next half year, dependent on exchange rate dollar-euro due to Shapeways prices in dollars). And when I receive a little more orders it directly saves on transport costs of the materials and also I can use more bulk prices for coloring. Besides that, I can (as a business) reclaim some tax paid for materials delivered.

Further, I think the Dutch mail has absurd costs for such light-weight parcels (see link)
Without handling fee, the basic cost for a parcel below 2 kg is Euro 25,60 (track & trace, insured) worldwide and Euro 14,30 for UK/Germany/Belgium.

I'll look into shipment costs from other delivery agencies, but I fear that for small amounts the Dutch TNT is the one that's most convenient (but expensive). [of course shipments with my other puzzles can be combined. It takes a lot of Shapeways puzzles to reach 2kg]
Attachments
SSC_8896.JPG
Splinter's Burgh Lock
SSC_8896.JPG (231.68 KiB) Viewed 16450 times

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » April 16th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Fantastic news!!

I'm really looking forward to having a play on Saturday at MPP

with Louis comments, I think I will be buying one. Thanks for the update
Push, pull, twist, slide...........open! :)

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » April 16th, 2013, 5:43 pm

Same here!

FWIW, Wil has always charge 13 euro for packages up to 2 kg and 25 euro for anything over 2 kg... I think those rates are generally accepted, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Kev1n

Post by Kev1n » April 17th, 2013, 9:59 am

Count me in on one too! Looking forward to seeing it on Saturday!
-----------------
Kev

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk

Splinter

Post by Splinter » April 17th, 2013, 10:52 am

I feel some kind of competition coming up at MPP10...

Maybe Louis (or someone else) can time each attempt to open the Burgh Lock. And present the results here after MPP10.
(Louis is excluded. Sorry ;) )

Oh, and please use gentle force only (though I improved the robustness). And don't fight over the two samples; one or both may stay in U.K. when someone likes to buy one.

(and if you want to use force: play it on Louis to come to MPP11 :lol: )

TheWaddler

Post by TheWaddler » April 17th, 2013, 11:45 am

These look great, can't wait to have a play on Saturday :D

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » April 20th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Ok guys, I've just got in and this is the first thing I need to do.

I can't say I'm that excited by this puzzle lock. NO I'm really really excited by it!! It is brilliant. I found this so much fun to open. I can't wait to order my copy and think I would like it exactly the same as the ones sent over for test. We had talked about a possible metal version but in truth this has brought loads of fun in its original design.

This puzzle would be worthy of a T in front of it, as its up there with a Popplock in my opinion. It's so encouraging to see a unique design that's extremely playable.

Splinter......you have done a great job and should be very proud.

Thanks for sending these over with Louis, it was a great addition to MPP.
Push, pull, twist, slide...........open! :)

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » April 21st, 2013, 11:19 am

Having had a good play with one of these yesterday, I couldn't agree more with Ali, hence why I have my own one sitting on the desk in front of me.

As you first (?) design I think it's a great achievement and certainly wouldn't be out of place amongst Popplocks and Danlocks. I really hope you have a go at making some other designs, because if this one is anything to go by, I'm sure they'll be great!

On the subject of making them out of metal, while the 3D printed version is great, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be in handing it to someone I didn't consider to be a trusted puzzler. All of the pieces do seem remarkably strong (it great that you can see all the mechanism once it's open) but with all other puzzle locks that I can think of, you can generally hand them out and say "try whatever you think is necessary, you can't break it". I'm not sure that's the case with this.
I'd be curious to know how much they'd cost if Wil's engineers made them in aluminium... I bet Wil could sell a fair few too ;)

allardwza

Post by allardwza » April 21st, 2013, 4:33 pm

BRAVO Splinter!!!

This is a tremendous puzzle - very clever design with some wonderful little surprises along the way - very enjoyable puzzle to play with and discover new things... is this is your first puzzle lock, I can't wait to see the next one! (No Pressure!)

Very glad to be able to say that the second copy is now on my desk for more playing later...

Thanks Splinter!!

allard