My trick lock puzzle project

Have a project you're currently working on? Post it here!
Splinter

Re: My trick lock puzzle project

Post by Splinter » March 12th, 2013, 7:27 am

Oh, and not to forget: don't you think I should receive a reward for dullest design? :lol:

(the magic is inside, very well hidden by a dull design)
Last edited by Splinter on March 13th, 2013, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Splinter

Post by Splinter » March 13th, 2013, 8:27 am

One aspect I also like to add:
although I'm known for my mazes, the trick lock does NOT incorporate a maze.

So, no blind maze to solve (I'm not an enthusiast of blind mazes also....)

To be continued....

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » March 13th, 2013, 10:17 am

Excellent! I'm glad to see your design is now a physical thing!
Puzzle locks are always popular, I hope at some point we'll be able to buy a copy.

The ends of the keys look quite thin, are they not fragile when printed like this?

Splinter

Post by Splinter » March 13th, 2013, 3:16 pm

bluesign2k wrote:The ends of the keys look quite thin, are they not fragile when printed like this?
The ends are indeed quite thin (I think those are 0.8mm with tolerance), but the fragility seems OK te me. The tips are quite flexible. I'm not afraid those will break off.
Louis may have his say regarding this aspect (and others) when I'm ready for the try-out.

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » March 15th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Looks like a good project. How complex are the insides? Is it something that would lend itself to making in wood, or does it need the metal/Laser Sintered plastics to be possible?

Louis

Post by Louis » March 15th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Oh boy, I am very much ready for the try-out!
If this is a good & affordable puzzle, there may be time to print another one before MPP10!
<hidden></hidden>

allardwza

Post by allardwza » March 17th, 2013, 8:11 am

...if you want anyone else to test it for you, I'll happily buy a prototype!

Allard

Splinter

Post by Splinter » March 18th, 2013, 8:42 pm

I hope it's OK I post some extra photos: before and after the dye process.
SSC_8794.JPG
Trick_lock_WSF_(white)
SSC_8794.JPG (229.76 KiB) Viewed 22894 times
SSC_8796.JPG
Trick_lock_closed_ochre
SSC_8796.JPG (216.63 KiB) Viewed 22894 times
SSC_8797.JPG
Trick_lock_closed2_ochre
SSC_8797.JPG (222.41 KiB) Viewed 22894 times
I'm quite happy with the result; certainly seeing it was my first dye attempt ever.
(unluckily I did try to dye a maze puzzle this evening with another colour, which seems not to take it in. Have to find out why it not holds / tacks to the nylon)

The colour is listed as 'bright ochre', but I saw too many white still after 0.5 hours. So decided to dye for another 0.5 hours. Seemed OK, but after the drying of the parts the lock now more looks like shiny orange. Or a bit rusty. Anyway, it makes the puzzle certainly less dull in looks :lol: Although the shape is still very straight (and will stay this way).

@TheJuggler: 3D printing in nylon seems to work just fine for this lock (except for the key-tip maybe). As written earlier in this thread, I opted for some of the parts to be printed in stainless steel. However, this turned out to be very expensive and not possible (was against some general design rules of Shapeways). But some parts may be able to be made out of wood or steel. I checked whether the keys could be milled in steel (in loose pieces and then welded or at once) but this seems no option. So making the keys of wood is also impossible. Maybe I can have those casted, but haven't checked this.
Be aware that (due to size and internal parts) this puzzle already in plastic will have a price of -I hope- approx. Euro 80,- (assembled. It makes no sense to offer a kit at Shapeways; then the surprise is gone).

@Louis: please check your e-mail. You may suggest an evening to try it out 8-)
And please provide everyone here with an honest opinion whether the puzzle is any good. Seeing the expected price I'm certainly don't want to disappoint anyone. (I know you will do a good and honest job in reviewing / trying)

Latest news about a first try-out by a non-puzzle-collector: a friend who solved my maze puzzles in a few minutes was at our home this sunday. He tried the puzzle, but failed to open it. Also after seeing me a bit hidden performing some correct actions on the lock. And he liked the internals (he's also a mechanical engineer).

@Allard: thank you for your kind offer!
I'm not really planning any new prototypes of this lock. The next update (after Louis' input) I'll consider a final product (in plastic). And Louis probably will carry a sample of it to the MPP (or the above proto) and it hopefully is available for regular ordering by that time (mid-April).

allardwza

Post by allardwza » March 19th, 2013, 12:48 pm

...sounds good to me Splinter - looking forward to hearing Louis' thoughts and seeing it in the flash at MPP :)

Louis

Post by Louis » March 23rd, 2013, 3:58 pm

Thanks for the opportunity to try out your puzzle lock prototype, Splinter!

This is an interesting puzzle lock, much more sophisticated than I had expected. As soon as I held it in my hand and felt the weight, I wondered how many parts would be inside. The lock is larger and fatter than any puzzle lock I own, almost looking like a puzzle box with a shackle on it (which it is NOT).

Studying the keys and the key hole(s!) gave very little away, so the next step was obvious: stick a key in the hole and turn the lock... which poses a dilemma right away, since there are 2 keys and 2 keyholes!
After a bit of exploring and a bit of encouragement from the designer to apply more force than I initially did, I discovered a 'move', but no further progress was made anytime soon.
After a lot more trying and fumbling, including an unexpected but very nice move , I was pleasantly confused, but again not making much progress. Another bit later I stumbled across the correct way to open the lock. At that point I still had no accurate idea about the mechanism inside.
There is even more to it, but I don't want to spoil anything here for the guys who may give it a go at MPP10.

It took me about 15 minutes to 'solve' the puzzle lock. Only after studying the internal mechanism and hearing Splinters explanation about the design decisions he made, I fully understood how and why it was made this way. Some internal parts make good use of the possibilities of 3D printing technology, it would be very cumbersome to produce them from wood or metal. I don't know of any other puzzles using this (un-)locking mechanism. On second thought it partially resembles one of the mechanisms used in popplock1. Since very few puzzlers know the popplock1 mechanisms this is not a spoiler, but it definitely is a compliment to Splinter for coming up with this mechanism himself, and making it work successfully in his very first prototype.

While closing and opening the puzzle lock a few more times, we discussed several possible changes/improvements/simplifications/variations. Some ideas could make the puzzle even more puzzling, which would be great from my puzzlers point of view, but that is easily said by someone who does not have to do the design drawing himself...
I am eager to find out what the next version is going to look/work like! I will be happy to take it along to MPP10 in order to have it tested and reviewed by serious puzzle lock collectors.

Splinter, you are good at more than mazes!
<hidden></hidden>