MazeRoll

Splinter

MazeRoll

Post by Splinter » January 8th, 2013, 7:27 pm

This is the MazeRoll!
MazeRoll Shapeways1.JPG
MazeRoll cylindrical maze puzzle
MazeRoll Shapeways1.JPG (140.8 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
I hope you like this as a design and as a puzzle.

Size (assembled): approx. round 45 mm x 141 mm
Weight: approx. 90 grams

Youtube video of puzzle
Youtube video of assembly

The aim of the puzzle is to bring the ball through the maze from one end of the cylinder to the other end.

Added to this challenge is the situation that this maze is a kind of maze within a maze. This makes solving it much more complex (hence more fun) than "align the rings and follow the path". The rotation of adjacent rings is restricted by a simple groove-and-notch system, especially designed to prevent you from positioning the rings such that the maze can be navigated at once. In other words, you are forced to reposition the rings several times while the ball is somewhere in the maze. This makes solving take longer than you would expect at first sight!

Also, this is not 1 puzzle; the cylindrical disk parts can be arranged in several combinations to create an easy or more difficult puzzle. (So, you get more puzzles for the price of one. But the solving method of all combinations is comparable)
This may be the puzzle that can also be appreciated by your not-so-into-puzzles friends and relatives, that like to see puzzles but fear to try them out. This puzzle you can start at an easy level, and continue to the more difficult challenges. Please be informed that the difficulty indicated is for ‘the general public’. For experienced puzzlers I’d rate the most difficult challenge as ‘moderate’.

Find the overview of configurations here

If you’re experienced in the assembly of Shapeways puzzles, you’ll find that it’s not too difficult to create the MazeRoll from the kit at Shapeways.

The MazeRoll is available at my Shapeways shop and ready assembled at my wife’s webshop.

The MazeRoll is a registered design (reg.no. 002144584-0001).

Splinter

Re: MazeRoll

Post by Splinter » January 18th, 2013, 9:44 am

Find a review by Gabriel for the MazeRoll here.
And also a short review by Louis here.

Splinter

Re: MazeRoll

Post by Splinter » November 27th, 2013, 11:25 am

Hi,

A short notice that the MazeRoll now also is available in blue.
It's not held in stock.

(For those interested: I've a few samples of the Burgh Lock currently in stock)

- Splinter