MazeCone

Splinter

MazeCone

Post by Splinter » January 8th, 2013, 7:20 pm

This is the MazeCone!
MazeCone Shapeways1.JPG
MazeCone maze puzzle
MazeCone Shapeways1.JPG (175.81 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
I hope you like this as a design and as a puzzle.

Size (assembled): approx. round 90 mm x 130 mm
Weight: approx. 135 grams

Youtube video of puzzle
Youtube video of assembly

The aim of the puzzle is to bring the ball through the maze from one end of the cone to the other end (and back through the maze).

Added to this challenge is the situation that this maze is a kind of maze within a maze. This makes solving it much more complex (hence more fun) than "align the rings and follow the path". The rotation of adjacent rings is restricted by a simple groove-and-notch system, especially designed to prevent you from positioning the rings such that the maze can be navigated at once. In other words, you are forced to reposition the rings several times while the ball is somewhere in the maze. This makes solving take longer than you would expect at first sight!

For experienced puzzlers I’d rate the challenge as ‘moderate’.

The maze of the MazeCone is different from the maze of the MazeRoll and MazeBall, but the design and solution method are comparable.

If you’re experienced in the assembly of Shapeways puzzles, you’ll find that it’s not too difficult to create the MazeCone from the kit at Shapeways. Assembly is somewhat more difficult than for the MazeRoll.

The MazeCone is available at my Shapeways shop and ready assembled at my wife’s webshop.

The MazeCone is a registered design (reg.no. 002144584-0003).