Miguel Berrocal

Nessie

Miguel Berrocal

Post by Nessie » September 30th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Hi there I was really hoping for some help with some items I have that I would like to sell in the near future but, I have no idea what they are worth or who to sell them too.
They are from the artist Miguel Berrocal and items are as follows
CRISTINA
LA MINI CARIATIDE
LA MINI ZORAIDA
LA MINI DAVID
MICRO DAVID
PORTRAIT DE MICHELE
Any help would be much much appreciated
...Nessie...

TheJuggler

Re: Miguel Berrocal

Post by TheJuggler » September 30th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Good idea to have a look online. Lots of info on the Berrocal's there.

At auction in 2009, a Mini David and Mini Zoraida together sold for $518 US

A Mini Cariatide is currently up for auction with a starting bid of $800

Michelle at auction currently with a starting price of $1480

I'd love to add one or more of these to my collection, but they're all out of my price range currently. Good luck with selling them, and as much as I hate to say this, if you're looking to make money on these, I'd suggest a private auction house.

If you'd like them to go to a good home with an avid puzzle collector, I'd be happy to look after them for you :lol:

Barcared

Post by Barcared » September 30th, 2013, 5:29 pm

I too am interested in obtaining a Berrocal piece. I have tried to pick one up for many years but they have also been out of my price bracket. Please PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Regards, Nigel

Nessie

Post by Nessie » October 1st, 2013, 6:21 am

Oh wow I had no idea what they were only info was from the books they came with. I looked after an elderly gent next door from me for many years cooking him meals and running errands for him and sadly he has now gone into care now due to major health issues. He gave me this box with lots of thing in it including these items and told me if I ever need cash to sell them cause they are worth a pretty penny...lol well I can see he wasn't wrong... I live in Australia and really don't know any Auction places but I will look into it.... there are other funny things in the box so I will also have them looked at.
Thank you for your help and when I sell them I will let you know! 8-)

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » October 1st, 2013, 5:37 pm

Sorry to hear that the gent has moved into care. I'd certainly go ask him the story behind these pieces, as they are certainly sought after, and knowing how he came to have them would be very interesting.

As Nigel mentions, there are a few of us who would love to add one of these pieces to our collections. When you do sell them, let us know and I'm sure there will be a few who are interested in giving you a sensible price for them. If there's other puzzles in the box, please let us know of throw a picture up. I'd love to see what you were left.

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » October 1st, 2013, 8:25 pm

Hi Nessie,
You will probably get more from these puzzles in dedicated auction sites, rather than on e-bay. The easiest to reach is Puzzle Paradise, and the listing is free.

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » October 1st, 2013, 9:18 pm

While Puzzle Paradise is likely the easiest to list on, personally I go for the Cubic Dissection auctions (there's one due to start in the next week) or better still, Baxterweb.

Whatever you do, I'm sure there will be plenty of interest.

Nessie

Post by Nessie » October 2nd, 2013, 2:00 pm

Thanks guys your advice is great! I went to see him today because after all this research I really wanted to make sure he was certain what he had given me, he laughed when he saw my concern and reassured me that he wanted me to have them. This man was a very prominent architect in his day and traveled extensively he was an avid collector of art antiques and of course puzzles. He obtained his first berrocal piece from a fellow collector while living in Italy and the other pieces came later just before he retired I think he was then living back here in Australia.
The sad thing was he had an only brother who did not want anything to do with him when he found out about his homosexuality and they stopped talking to each other about 30 odd years ago. He has been a recluse since his retirement and the death of his partner and started to hoard, his house next door to mine is an absolute treasure trove i have seen things in there that I will most likely never see again in my life. This wonderful man was a beautiful musician and stage producer too his 18th century puppet theatre complete with back drops and pristine puppets are amazing. Anyway he has employed a solicitor and a close friend to organize an auction on his vast amount of antiques and things and will sell the house. after he pays for his accomidation in the nursing home he is donating the rest to charity. Also I found another berrocal piece in the box and it's the mini Maria! I will upload photos shorty.