Introduce Yourself...

jack

Re: Introduce Yourself...

Post by jack » October 3rd, 2011, 7:13 pm

Hi Chris

Guillaume posted a very interesting study on disassembling and assembling of 18-piece burrs on Puzzle World. See: http://forum.johnrausch.com/cgi-bin/ult ... 1&t=000308
One of the things he mentions is the ideal design of 1 solution and 1 assembly. An actual design coming close to this is a slight variation of the 111-move Phoenix design; it has only 8 assemblies. I haven't spent time to determine the ease or difficulty of discarding the 7 false assemblies.
I may however have a design matching quite perfectly with your wish. It has three different pieces only, each occurring 6 times. One type can be placed in the middle position only, so restricting the number of different piece positions. The puzzle has 1 assembly and 1 solution, of level 6. No colours or routing patterns are needed for uniqueness. Funny, up till now, I did not realise it might be a special design, satisfying Guillaume's ideal!
You trigger me to actually make a specimen; I always want to feel the working of a new design before I go public (in some way) with it. I'll keep you informed.

flawr

Post by flawr » June 12th, 2012, 8:36 am

hello, I'm flawr.
I first got in touch when i was about 5 years old. My godfather gave me a disentanglement puzzle. Then I discovered (when i still couldn't read) a book about Puzzles ("Creative Puzzles of the World" by Pieter Delft and Jack Botermans, but in another language) This book has been fascinating me over all the years up to now. When I grew older I tried to create some of those puzzles myself, because I had no idea where to get such puzzles. (And I have to add: In central europe it still isn't easy to find puzzles...) From time to time I got another puzzle as a present, but they were all not very interesting. But soon I made a simple solid 6-Piece burr. And thats where my real addiction started. I wanted to know more about such puzzles, I designed some by my self (In school, some very boring lessons...)
Now I have nice little collection of puzzles and I am still seeking for more interesting ones. And thats why i got here=)
My lates design (that still needs some improvements) is a 4x3x2 Burr (9 Pieces) of the level 1.1.4.4.... that is completely notchable and solid. but it still has some proprieties i'd like to remove.
If you have any questions, just ask! I am very happy that theres a wiki for puzzles (I wanted to create something like this, but then i found this page=)
flawr
ps: as you know, i am from central europe, which explains my bad english....
pps: no, i do not have a puzzle blog, but i once created a site of some of my puzzles, but just because i wanted to test xml-libraries in php=) see here:http://asdf.bplaced.net/xml/

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » June 12th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Hello flawr,
Welcome on the forum !

I, too, longed for the puzzles in this book... until I found that there was an active puzzle community on the internet.

From which country are you ? There is a famous puzzle maker in Czech republic, called Vinco. But maybe he doesn't sell his puzzles outside the Internet.

There was also a 6-piece burr among the puzzles that started my passion, Philippe Dubois' burr. Then it peaked with the Super Croix. And it was 22 years later that I found intersting puzzles again... on the Internet.

I still have not seen your page, there must be something wrong on my side with the proxy. But I'll have a look from home tonight.

CU

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » June 12th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Hi flawr,

Welcome :)

It's nice to see someone else who's interested in burrs :) I enjoy solving them, particularly the higher level ones - I'm not great at them and don't solve them that fast but it's a good feeling when you have all the pieces in front of you.

Do you have a favourite puzzle?

Chris

Paradox

Post by Paradox » June 12th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Welcome Flawr! :)

flawr

Post by flawr » June 13th, 2012, 9:24 pm

hello everyone,

@chris: no i do not have a favourite puzzles. I just especially enjoy handcrafted puzzles, because they feel so natural and they tell kind of a story, and do not feel so "annonymous" as the ones made by machines.
@pio: I am from switzerland, near the borders to germany and france.
I must admit that i am not very experienced in solving burrs, because almost every burr I ever touchet was made by myself and there aren't that many^^ (I'm 19yrs old and went to school till december, and at the moment i have to do some months of civil service (instead of military service, thank god...) - so unfortunately I do not have very much money I can use for buying puzzles. now that i am talking about myself: yes, i'm gonna study mathematics, and i can't wait for the start in september=)
Did anyone of you had the chance to attend one of the IPPs? It must be great, it is my dream to be able to meet so many puzzle-fanatics=)

flawr

allardwza

Post by allardwza » June 14th, 2012, 7:53 am

HI flawr and welcome!

I can really identify with what you said about handcrafted wooden puzzles - they have soul and are always unique in some way ... the Hanayama cast puzzles are fun, but if you lose one you know you can always replace it...

Hope the civil service passes quickly and that you enjoy the studies after that - and let us know how your puzzling goes.

There are plenty of ways to enjoy puzzles without spending a fortune - and one of the most important is to connect with other puzzlers nearby, meet up and play with their puzzles! :) If you chat to folks on forums like this I'm sure you'll find there are interesting puzzlers near you...

All the best!

allard

Splinter

Post by Splinter » September 5th, 2012, 8:28 am

Hello everyone here,

An introduction of me, though I already saw some familiar names from the Twisty puzzle community.
If you know my introduction text already, it can be: it's largely efficiently copied. Luckily my designs aren't.

I'm 41, live with wife and kids (3,5 years old) in Eindhoven NL. I am a mechanical engineer (MSc.) specialized in legal and regulatory requirements regarding safety of medical devices.
Since 1986 I’ve with periods drawn mazes, mostly as distraction in between homework and study.
I’ve made mazes till the end of my study (in 1994); then I did not find (or create) time to continue this. I’ve picked it up as my wife likes most of my designs (see my avatar and signature) and liked it to have in her shop as E-book. This booklet was released October 2011. As I like others to enjoy my designs also, I’ve tried to keep the price reasonably (and of course there’s a preview to help a buy decision).

I also have picked up the puzzle collecting / solving somewhat. In fact buying the Zahnradlaby was the trigger to search for these kinds of puzzles on the internet. And that was how I first ended up at Twisty puzzles and now here :D
And because (see my profession) I do something decent when I make a decision to do something, I also started a Dutch overview page regarding actual mazes (in parks and such), maze puzzles, maze games and maze books.

In my youth I have built some wooden puzzles from a book, e.g. a ‘trapped ring’ and sliding rectangular blocks puzzles. And a maze with paper walls through which a ball runs. Also my E-book holds a cubical maze I’ve built with paper (is in the preview so free available).
I'm currently designing some maze puzzles at Shapeways, so most definitely you'll hear more from this before the end of this year.

My small collection can be found here: http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/view ... 14&t=24170

- Splinter

Pio2001

Post by Pio2001 » September 7th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Hi Splinter, and welcome here.

I like labyrinths too. The large one that you designed in paper looks cool. I have not yet got your book, but I like what I have seen in the preview.

I see that you have got the double gear labyrinth. I have hesitated to get this one, and finally got the Safe instead (review here : http://www.puzzle-place.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=15&t=76). Nice, but simple.
How is the Double Gear one ?

I have myself drawn labyrinths, long ago. You can see them here :
http://3141592.pio2001.online.fr/pictur ... Laby01.png
http://3141592.pio2001.online.fr/pictur ... Laby02.png
http://3141592.pio2001.online.fr/pictur ... Laby03.png
http://3141592.pio2001.online.fr/pictur ... Laby04.png

The two first ones were designed without any plan in mind, just extending the paths until all the page was covered.
The last one was designed to be very dificult. I first designed a labyrinth with very large paths, but very twisty walls, then I filled the paths with a sub-labyrinth until the position of the initial walls was completely lost among the other walls.
Since the start is at the bottom (to the left), and the exit at the right hand bottom corner, it can be solved using the easy method of the "hand-to-the-wall", but even this way, the path from start to finish is very long.

Do you know the XmatriX labyrinths ? I have got both the Quadrus and the Cubus, and I find them really cool. Actually, they are the only "mechanical" labyrinths that I know of that are really challenging.
I know, no one beats the Revomaze as far as a challenge is involved, but they are not exactly the same kind of puzzles. They are "hidden mazes".

Splinter

Post by Splinter » September 7th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Hi Pio2001,

To answer your questions:
the Zahnradlaby / double gear is a very nice design I think. I picked it up at a German Christmas market (in Monschau, where a puzzle store is located). The only 'back side' from it, is that the movement is not completely smooth (balls sometimes gets stuck against the laser-cut wood).

I'm aware of the Xmatrix and Revomazes, but I don't have those in my collection (yet).
They are listed on my maze overview page (see signature), besides of some maze from Oskar van Deventer (gear maze), the Ethereal maze (missing on your puzzle list) and the Dael O Ring. Chapter 'doolhof spellen (fysiek / spelcomputer)' on my page.

Personally I'd like to see the maze, so blind mazes Revomaze and Dael O Ring do not attract me that much.

There are very different ways to create a maze; I see you like to have the method of creating a correct way and distractions around it. This in a very curved / natural (like: nature) style.
I first started this way, but went more onto using in squares divided paper. Or now on PC by assistance of a grid. And drawing straight lines mostly. More like the engineer I am.

Although my puzzles-to-be will be 3-D and quite straigth, they will have some nice natural pattern. (You know: nature is all about patterns)

In this E-book I've placed a chapter with a short explanation how mazes can be created. The book has a very different focus than puzzles. Maybe after releasing my puzzles I'll bring this chapter out as a separate booklet for a small price.

Normally, I look in my mazes that the difficulty from start to finish does not differ too much as from finish to start. Hehe. :mrgreen: