Introduce Yourself...

Paradox

Introduce Yourself...

Post by Paradox » April 10th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Here is a little place for everyone to come and introduce themselves to the Puzzle Place community, and hopefully it'll help us all to get to know each other a bit better. :D

So I am Paradox (or Oli if you prefer). I only became interested in puzzles a matter of months ago but I immediately started to collect them, and I'm really glad that I did. My main interest tends to be with 'Take Apart' puzzles, but I really do like most puzzle types. I just can't get along with 'Disentanglement' puzzles, mostly because I suck at them.

I also write my own puzzle blog to chronicle my growing madness, and you can find that here: Oli's Mechanical Puzzle Blog

Kev1n

Re: Introduce Yourself...

Post by Kev1n » April 16th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Hi Guys,

It looks like the revomaze forums have spread to another place!!!
I have developed a bad puzzle habit and so will hang out anywhere to talk about them or find ways to get more.

I am Kevin (aka The Puzzler on my blog) http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk
I have to say that in the short time this wiki has been up it has turned into quite a useful resource for puzzle freaks - hopefully we can get a good community going here.
-----------------
Kev

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk

Alimorris

Post by Alimorris » April 17th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Ok so it starts out like an AA group!

Hi I'm Ali and am Also Adicted to puzzles :o
I have loved all puzzles since childhood and really got into Rubics of all sorts. For me though as soon as I saw the Revomaze on the Gadget show I was hooked and trawling the web for more and more. In a short period of time I have met some really genuine guys and seen an extraordinary range of puzzles.

Puzzle locks and take apart rank at the top but am being side tracked by a few awesome Constantin pieces.

I look forward to sharing with you guys.

I was going to end with I have been clean from my addiction for 24 hours but that would be a lie :oops:
Push, pull, twist, slide...........open! :)

Kev1n

Post by Kev1n » April 19th, 2011, 9:17 pm

Oops! Forgot during my self introduction to say what puzzles I like!

I love burrs in particular and have now got quite a few of them (still need more though!!)
I actually do like disentanglement puzzles - I am about to receive the complete set from Livewire puzzles and have a few other easier ones too. I have been trying to find a good UK source for the Tucker Jones Tavern puzzles but can't find anyewhere that stocks the more complex ones.

Apart from a Makishi Pagoda, I do not have any puzzle boxes so don't know whether I like them much (they do seem really expensive)

Basically I want EVERYTHING! :D
-----------------
Kev

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk

mattangel

Post by mattangel » April 24th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Hi All,

My name is Matt and I'm addicted to puzzling.

I've always liked puzzles since I discovered the Tavern puzzles sold at Cracker Barrels around the Southern US when I was a kid. I don't remember what I did with them over the years, but Iron Maiden may have been my first and we'd always pick up another puzzle whenever we craved good Southern cuisine.

My current collection is fairly limited and consists of a Danlock, Heartwood spin box, the available Revomaze puzzles and a few jigsaws. It's been 12 hours since my last fix when I went through and opened my Revomaze puzzles and I'm ready for more!

All the best,
Matt

TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler » April 25th, 2011, 10:47 pm

Hey,

I'm Neil, and have been a puzzler for over 25 years now. I have always had a love or interest in puzzles, and my Dad often bought me new puzzles to keep me entertained. I have recently started designing my own puzzles, with some encouragement from some of my friends, and am starting to understand what is possible in certain materials, and look at puzzles in a totally different way. My collection spans 25 years of puzzles and I have no doubt I've lost a fair few over the years and varying house moves.

I have my own blog where I post about the exploits into designing puzzles, and also review puzzles I own periodically. There's no one puzzle type that I hate, but I enjoy most things made from wood, and Japanese or trick boxes are among my favourites. I'm really not good at twisty puzzles at all, and as yet have never solved a Rubicks cube!

I wish all of you successful puzzling.

Neil

allardwza

Post by allardwza » May 24th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Just noticed I've been very rude and not posted an introduction here yet...

You all know my name's allard (nobody would make up something that ridiculous for a forum name!) and I spent most of my life in South Africa (hence the 'za' bit) - and no prizes for guessing that the 'w' is for my surname... I've been living in the UK for about 7 years now - I still complain about the weather!

I've only really been collecting puzzles for three or four years now, and probably have to blame Revo's for my interest in higher end puzzles - up until then my 'collection' consisted of some Eureka, Hanayama and Mad Cow puzzles... things have gone badly downhill since then.

I've always enjoyed puzzles and find that they bring interesting people together...

During the day I work in the (honest side of the) financial services sector...

allard

AFKAN

Post by AFKAN » July 19th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Ok as if being on the Revomaze forum wasn't bad enough already, now I'm on here too :lol:

I'm Graham (most of you lot have already met me at MPP3 :lol: (Kevin even earlier :lol: )

The AFKAN stands for "Artist Fromally Known As Ninja" - I'm a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate and was the UKTKF National Karate Champion some years ago 8-)

I started with the Rubik's cube as I was still at primary school when the craze hit :shock:

Unfortunately I just didn't "get it" at the time and it took me another 10 years before I finally solved it. :?

Always been interested in tactile puzzles, one's you have to touch and move so that covers quite a large number of different puzzle types unfortunately :lol:

Since I found the Revomaze (thanks to the Gadget Show) my puzzle collection has increased exponentially (and yes I blame you lot for this :evil: ) I'd never even heard of Hanayama let alone owning an ever increasing collection of them 8-)

Anyway, let the poverty commence :lol:
Graham:-)

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k » July 25th, 2011, 12:29 pm

AFKAN wrote:...I started with the Rubik's cube as I was still at primary school when the craze hit :shock:

Unfortunately I just didn't "get it" at the time and it took me another 10 years before I finally solved it. :?
It's odd, I know of soo many great puzzles who just don't get on with the Rubik's cube and twisty puzzles in general. I'm normally quite good at that sort of thing but for some reason twisty puzzles just fry my brain. one day I'll crack them...
AFKAN wrote:... I'd never even heard of Hanayama let alone owning an ever increasing collection of them 8-)
I think Hanayamas manage to entice many people into puzzling. I think my current level of interest in puzzles really began with them... and for that, I place the blame entirely with Nigel and Allard :P

If you have a puzzle that's not on the wiki (which gets less likely everyday thanks to Oli's great work), then feel free to add it if you like :)

Chris

sheepish

Post by sheepish » August 4th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Hey I've seen you guys somewhere before, No can't quite remember where :lol:
Well my name is Shaun aka Sheepish and i must admit you guys have done an excellent job here Wow why did'nt i come here sooner.
I got into puzzles a few years ago when i was watching Dragons Den and a certain puzzle was being offered to the Dragons. This puzzle Started a downward spiral and my addiction began. I met a couple of gents also hooked on this adventure who recommended the Revomaze and then more people recommending more puzzles and more and more you get the picture :? But thats not the end i attended a puzzle party not so long ago and was introduced to the "Box with a Tree" (cheers Chris). Since this point i have ended up getting myself one and fueled by this amazing puzzle i have since ordered the Chance Meeting Box, Snake Cube and Little Tree Box and so the downward spiral continues. I'm also eyeing up the box with a ribon does anyone have this ?
Anyway nice meeting some new people with the same addiction as me :D